Cathartes aura (w/1 tweak)

With a curves adjustment to only the bird as per advice below -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While kayaking up the Somo river I startled this vulture into a nearby tree from its position on the ground. It tolerated me for a bit, but then took off. I like the backward look and the framing branches, but the light was so tough to deal with. Due to its small size it may be a young one. After it flew I went to see if I could detect a meal in the undergrowth, but I didn’t see or smell anything so it may have just been resting. It was very hot and obviously sunny, so might have been seeking shade.

Specific Feedback

As you can see the light was less than ideal - in processing I tried for a realistic look in terms of the harsh backlighting, but didn’t want it to be washed out or lacking detail. Any ideas for improvement in this arena welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak.

Lr for initial work to improve luminosity starting with a Linear Profile and adding contrast using the Calibration, Curves, HSL and Basic panels. I also used some masking to further massage the bird itself. Topaz Denoise AI to reduce that and introduce some detail as well. A bit of a crop and some desaturation in the background so it wouldn’t be overwhelming.

1 Like

I love the framing branches, Kris. I think you did well with the lighting. The background looks fine. You might add just a bit of contrast to the bird-maybe through a darks luminosity mask so it doesn’t affect the few sunlit areas significantly.

One ornithological note, since I see this repeated often here: Young birds are almost always as large or larger than the adults when the leave the nest. The adults fatten them up for that inevitable learning curve on feeding themselves.

Oh that’s kind of cool and interesting to know. So, given that, the size ranges listed in field guides refer to the gamut of adult size ranges, not a growth period? Most vultures I’ve seen lately are much larger than this particular one. Just curious since I know zip!

Thanks for the idea about adding to the bird’s contrast. I messed with it so much that I can’t judge anymore so it’s good to get an opinion there. You know how it is with processing sometimes.

Correct, Kris. Also, while I doubt it applies to vultures, in most (but not all) raptor species , the male is significantly smaller than the female. Which is one of the reasons it’s so hard to tell Sharp-shinned hawks from Cooper’s hawks.

That I have noticed when I shoot pairs of eagles either next to each other or close by - the female is substantially bigger. I bet @Vanessa_Hill can tell us more about her favorite bird and whether these guys follow suit.

1 Like

Hi Kris, I like the framing here also and I think you handled the tough lighting well even though I think Dennis’ suggestion on contrast would be good to check out. I like the backwards glance as well. The lichened branches add another element of interest for me also. Nice capture.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks - this is one of the first frames I shot and it’s funny how we can sometimes instinctively line up and get a good composition out of the gate. Subsequent photos after the current moved the kayak were definitely not as good. I think it’s sitting in an old spruce tree that is dying. Made for an appropriate setting I think.

Put a slightly changed version in the OP. Better? I don’t want to go too nuts, but don’t want it to be washed out either. Tricky line with this backlighting.

Hi Kris. I like the revised version. Just enough to avoid the washed out look and that’s all it takes.

1 Like

Yup! I agree with everyone on this superb framing and the redo has much better color depth. I like it.

1 Like

Hi Kris! Thanks for asking! Nice photo and story too! Actually turkey vultures are the same overall size whether male or female. They actually are hard to tell apart even for experts. And this one looks full grown or almost full grown to me. When they are juvenile their heads are a greyish black color and it takes about a year before they turn red. Also unlike raptors they are with their parents for a year or more. They need to learn different skills because they don’t kill prey. They need to learn how to take off and catch thermals. They also need to learn how to find carcasses and be careful when those carcasses are on the road! I’ve actually been privileged to watch both parents train their juvenile to take off from a tree that was at the top of a cliff and then catch the thermals! One of them was gliding around showing them how and then the other was on the branch with the juvenile seeming to encourage him to jump! He was wobbly at first but did good after a few times! And I also saw an adult and juvenile in the middle of the road, there wasn’t any food. They just were standing there like the parent was teaching him what to do. And then a car came and the parent lifted off, the juvenile seemed confused for a minute and then took off too! Sorry, I could go on and on about turkey vultures! :sweat_smile: Oh, one other thing, you mentioned that this one seems smaller than most you’ve seen. Had you seen the others just as close? One thing that always amazes me about them is when they have landed and aren’t flying they always are surprisingly smaller than when they are in flight or have their wings outstretched.

Thanks for that @Vanessa_Hill - I knew you’d be able to tell us. I didn’t know the red coloring came with adulthood so that’s new for me. Interesting about the long parenting time as well. I know many other raptor juveniles stay in their parents’ territory for a year or two, but aren’t actively fed or coached. I guess every kid has to learn what to do.

I’ve seen other vultures fairly close, especially when they are on roadkill, and yeah, this particular one seemed a bit on the small side. Could have been my perspective being lower in the boat when it went up into this tree, but that was my impression. When I first flushed it, I though it was a juvenile bald eagle, but as soon as I really saw it I knew it was too small to be one.

Oh and thanks @David_Schoen - glad the rework looks better. It was a cool encounter for sure.