Caught in a Breeze

Moonrise over Tulip Magnolia

Pathway Through the Mountain

Going My Way

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Since I’m new to NPN, I thought I would post a few of my favorites. I shoot a lot, so it’s always though to edit down to just a few.
#1 An ICM of a falling leaf this fall. (My daughter helped me by dropping leaves as I tracked them to the ground.)
#2 The glare off a car windshield is what is making the “moon” here.
#3 I did a large number of photos while on a cruise to the Bahamas this spring. I played with both fast and slow shutter speeds.
#4 My favorite from this year of my project called “Trees in the Sea of Darkness.” (I’ll likely post this project for critique in a few months.)

Technical Details

All with my Canon R
#2 with my 85mm macro
Others with 24mm-240mm

1 Like

Welcome! I enjoyed your creative take on these, especially putting the name and context together. I’ve been thinking about trying blowing leaves for some time, and #3 reminds me of some of the volcano/lava photos I’ve seen. Thanks for sharing these!

Patrick, these are an intriguing set of photos. #1 is nicely dreamy, even as the leaf is recognizable. The “sun” behind the magnolia is a good touch that works well even without explaining its origin. The subtle hints of blue in the darkness behind the upper splash in #3 add something extra to what would otherwise be a stark view. The isolation and black negative space with the trees and pole in #4 is also quite stark, as it makes a clear statement.

Hi @karlag thanks for the reply. Playing with blowing leaves – using a blower? – would be fun. The key is doing a few at different SS so you can see what works best and gets the look you like. And doing the wave photos was one of the first times I had an idea – make the crashing waves look like stark mountains – and pulled it off.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver thanks for your breakdown of your thoughts on my shots. The reason I put what the white circle was, is because I had some people think it was the moon, or it was done in PS. And you are right about the wave photo. It was interesting when I was editing them, those that were just lines of the wave, weren’t as interesting as the ones with the extra spray. Again, thanks for your ideas.