Cave Art

Another rock art interpretation. These cave paintings are from a cave in Burgandy, France and are at a minimum of 28,000 years old, The cave was only discovered in 1990. These rock wall painting are considerably older than those in Lascaux, France which are more famous and 17,000 years old. There is another cave in Southern France with 30, 000 year old paintings.

Although it appears bright, the cave is quite dark, lit by a single low wattage bulb which automatically turns off when no one is present. Such are the advantages of high iso… No flash allowed.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 20,000, 24-120 at 24 mm, f8, 40th sec, handheld, D850

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Fastening history and background David. Thanks for sharing this piece of history. Amazing you got such a clear photo. Nicely done.

David, “rock art” as originally defined. Nice job with getting lots of good detail under trying conditions.

David: Ditto to what Linda and Mark said. Makes me want to go there. >=))>

Wow, very cool. They actually let visitors in to the original cave?

Yes Bonnie, they did allow visitors. It was a controlled situation where only 20 people at a time were allowed to go in and there were only a few tours each day. In the time of co-vivid 19, it is much more restricted. Photography was clearly discouraged as most tourists would have use their flash, potentially damaging the rock art. This is why I had to shoot at iso-20,000, with my camera at my waist on the strap and surreptitiously pressing the shutter.

1 Like