Central American Hummer

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Hummer in need of ID. Possible Green Crowned Brilliant

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 500, 300mm, f8, 800th, D500, handheld, fill flash at -2, full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, I’m afraid I can’t help you with the ID, but I must say, this is one fine image of this beautiful little guy! Such color and detail in his feathers, catch light in his eye, the perch he is on, all of it makes for an outstanding photo, in my humble opinion. Well done.

Sweet image, David. I like the pose and being perched on the flower is a nice touch. This looks to me like it’s probably a female or juvenile, which isn’t going to mahe it easier to ID. I do see some bronze sheen in the tail and head that might help. Hopefully one of the people familiar with Central American species will chime in.

Hi David,
Nice depth of field control and I like the flower/leafy perch. The spiked feathers on the head are cool. A brilliant subject for sure. Well done and nicely composed.