Crowned Woodnymph

One of my favorite Central American Hummingbirds. Overcast and under the canopy. I wish there was more light.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

As I was taking primarily Hummingbirds in flight, it was difficult to switch back and forth to a better iso at a lower shutter speed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 6400, 500mm PF, f7.1, 2500th, fill flash at -3, D500, handheld, 60% full frame.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

What a beautiful hummingbird. The colors and the detail on the bird are great. I might darken the background a bit. it detracts from the bird a bit in my opinion. Thanks for sharing this nice image.

Beautiful. Just the right amount of fill flash. The background doesn’t cause me any concern, other than perhaps the upper left corner is a tiny bit distracting, but of little consequence. Nice shot.

Very cool, David. Beautiful plumage. You should clip out that eye and use it as your avatar, since your face shows so well in it.

Simply a gorgeous one here, David. I can see why this hummer would be high on your list of favs. What’s not to like?..The larger version detail is truly stunning…:+1::+1:

Crazy colors on this Hummingbird and an excellent capture of it, David! The iridescence is really captured nicely despite the low light. Well done!

Beautiful bird. The colors and iridescence comes through quite well; wonder what it would look like in “better” light. Your comment about switching settings makes me think the next step in cameras should be voice activated controls.

Hi David, this looks really nice to me. Love the colors and detail especially for that ISO. Well done.

Details on the hummingbird look excellent especially in the large version. Nice pose and DOF is small enough to keep the background from intruding into the scene. You got the flash spec working very well - the scene looks very natural.