Channeling Autumn

Autumn 2020 photo project
taken 10/09/20 at Quabbin Region Massachusetts

A severe summer drought significantly lowered the water level in many ponds and lakes this year. This pond normally has a lot more water than this. However the drought resulted in an expansion of these beautiful golden grasses. I had driven by this location before sunrise, and knew that I wanted to return after some light had gotten on the grass. By the time I returned most of the early morning mist had disappeared, except for a bit left at the far side of the pond. What I like about this image is that the grasses make more of an autumn statement than the foliage itself does.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 129mm, ISO 100, 0.3 sec at f16

2 Likes

Beautiful, Ed. I love the warm light and color of the grasses and you have skillfully composed the pond to lead me through the image. Getting really picky, I might clone out the bits of sky in the reflection on the bottom edge but it is rather inconsequential. Real nice.

Lovely scene Ed! The light, color and composion really come together with this image. Your title is spot on and very fitting! I tend to think lineir, organized, and symmetrical (sometimes too much so) but I wonder about cropping out the bottom right water or maybe include a bit more of it?

This looks like a wonderful morning. Ir must’ve been great to be out there. My first thought was that the foliage above the fog was not helping the image but now I think the highlights are too bright. But I’m not even sure about that. I remember scenes like this in New Hampshire on the way to classes. We lived in Portsmouth at that time.

One thing I noticed is that the image looks slightly tilted. However. the actual shoreline through the fog is horizontal but cattails are growing at an angle to the shoreline and giving that impression.

Ed, I could just sit right down there and enjoy this scene. If you should have any wall space left, this is worthy of printing and hanging. I just love everything about it. The lighting, the fog, the low position you shot it, everything. :+1: :+1: