Cheeky Moose

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My husband and I stopped at a large turnout obviously placed so that the moose that frequented this willow thicket could be watched and photographed (Bighorn Scenic Byway in Wyoming). This guy was browsing and watching us, but completely unbothered by our presence. Please note, we stayed inside the vehicle, there was a fence between us and the moose, and I was using my longest telephoto. We stayed for at least half an hour, but this is my favorite of all the pics, simply because he looks like he was grinning at us (My sister’s immediate reaction was, “Oh hi, honey. Were you saving this for company tonight?”).

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure if it’s too bright, or if that light background actually helps the overall image. Any comments/critiques welcome.

Technical Details

1/250, f7.1, 300mm. I increased the exposure by .75 stop, reduced the highlights, and increased the contrast slightly in LR. Otherwise, no changes.

3 Likes

Denise, this is a fine image. These guys were all over during my travels throughout Alaska years ago.
Does this big guy have a slight cheeky snickering smile there? What a fun scene here… :raised_hand: A High Five.

1 Like

Denise, this is a wonderful catch of moose behavior, and a bit comical to boot…just dying for a caption. The texture comes through quite well; I can feel the softness of his hair and the velvet on his antlers. From my POV, the light background actually makes him stand out better.

1 Like

I agree with @Jim_Lockhart. This has great detail, and the expression begs for a story. I also feel the same about the light background. It works for me.

1 Like

This is a fantastic capture Denise. I love the eye contact as well as that smile/snicker expression that the moose has. IMO the light BG makes the dark fur of the moose stand out rather nicely. Beautiful image!

1 Like

The little bit of teeth showing suggest that the moose is daring you to try some delectable shrubbery. I like this one as presented…Jim

Yes, getting eye contact with any animal always adds to the appeal of the image. Really fun photo, and liked the story. Mostly liked your sister’s take on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Denise, this is an excellent take on this moose. His expression really does make the photo, even as everything else looks fine. Moose are usually quite dark so getting details in the body like you have here is challenging without having blown highlights elsewhere.

Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate it.