Cheetah looking for Cub

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image I took back in 1993. We found a cheeetah with its cub in the shade of a bush. It was very far away so we decided to wait several hours at temperatures higher as 43° celcius. Late in the afternoon, we were nearly cooked in the van, the cheetah decided to go for a hunt and came closer to the road we were staying. At this specific moment it stopped walking and looked for its cub.

Technical Details

Contax RTS III, Zeiss APO-Sonnar 2 / 200 + 2x Extender, Kodochrome 64

Scanned with Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and optimezed with Photoshop.

Kodachrome is a very dificult to scan slide film even when Nikon offered a special profile for it.

1 Like

I really like the pose here Cay-Uwe, looking back into the frame.
The Cheetah’s colour looks good to me but I think I can see a magenta cast on the background.
I have tried scanning slides but ultimately found it time-consuming and unsatisfying!

Great catch from so long ago. Terrific, intent look on the cheetahs face with a nice head turn and body position. This has held up well through the years. I too find that there is a color cast. The cheetah seems to have a greenish tint to it and I believe I see the same Magenta colorcast that @Ryan_H sees. If you’re ok with it, I would think about removing the stick that’s pointing right at the cheetahs head on the right side. Otherwise, I very much like this image.