Chimney Rock, Ghost Ranch

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Any conflicting elements? Appropriate ambiance?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Chimney Rock is a popular formation, painted by Georgia O’Keefe and photographed by many, including Ansel Adams. On this late afternoon the sun reflects off the face of Chimney Rock, setting it aglow while framed by a forked juniper snag on Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu, New Mexico.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D; Canon EF 70-200mm @ 85mm; f/32 @ 1/13 sec, -1 EV, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you think, positive or not.

What an eye catcher! My initial reaction to your image was one of admiration for the interplay of light and landscape. The golden hues on the cliffs are magnificently offset by the deep blue sky, and the tree in the foreground, stark and weathered, adds character and a sense of narrative to the scene. It’s a testament to your skill in capturing the raw and untouched beauty of nature.

Thank you @Saundie for your generous comments.This was an incredibly satisfying day capturing images of places I had never been to and beginning a friendship with another photographer that continues to this day.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting this! I spent some time considering this image before replying, so here goes. The location is amazing and the colors are fantastic that you captured. The color of the rock and the blue sky…magnificent. I really like how the center of the peak is just a smidge off the centerline of the image. Not bulls-eyed. Enough foreground to make you feel like you have solid footing. The processing is fantastic and just the right amount to be eye catching without being heavy handed.

I’m struggling a bit with the tree though, and I know this is a personal thing. Others will disagree, so take it with a grain of salt. Because the light on the peak is the brightest thing in the image, my eyes are naturally drawn there and I subconsciously think that this is the main subject of the image. But the tree is positioned like it is the subject, so I’m a bit conflicted. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve shot a similar scene and I critique myself the same way. I’ve come down to deciding what is the subject, the mountain or the tree and work to highlight whichever one, either through compositional choice or light/dark/vignette to change visual emphasis.

I really like the image alot and as-is, stands strong, Since you posted it for feedback, I thought I’d give some more nuanced feedback to think about. Well seen and shot!

It is indeed a beautiful photo. The color is stunning. I do agree with Don…I find the tree a distraction. You have to look past it to see the Chimney, so the effect is that it is blocking the view. As Don mention, this is totally a subjective opinion. Others might love the tree!

I pretty much agree with @Tony_Siciliano’s assessment.

Thank you @John_Pedersen @Tony_Siciliano @Igor_Doncov for your comments. I have photos from different perspectives of this formation which do not include this tree. I will post them another time. The only image I could find of this perspective is an O’Keefe painting. Reasonably good company to keep.

I agree with most of these comments. It’s a beautiful scene with nice contrasting colors of orange and blue, but it does feel like the tree gets a little lost. Maybe under different lighting conditions the tree would stand out more. I think the issue stems from the rock and the tree being similar colors. Nice overall image though

Thank you @Jason_Ray_Photography for your remarks. I saw it as a “frame” of the chimney, but open enough to allow the rest of the image to be seen. So much for art.

I do think the composition is great and loved how you framed the rock with the tree. I just think some different light would help the tree and rock formation be a bit more separated more.

Thank you @Jason_Ray_Photography. I was with a group, all of whom wanted to sit on the other side of the tree so I did not have much of an opportunity to explore other lighting conditions before we moved on. Lame excuse, I know, but one cannot buck the majority in those situations.

Yeah. I hear ya, I’ve been in those situations myself where you have to share the space with others.

Thank you @Jason_Ray_Photography for your comment. I spend most of my time in the field alone. Only when someone I know and trust is guiding to an area I know nothing about, will I join. My colleagues, who know me and are guiding, often ask me “Why are you taking this …” My answer is always the same. It’s like going fishing where I am not familiar with the river, lake etc. I hire a guide. To facilitate photography in an unfamiliar site I treat the Leader as a guide. I trust their familiarity with the site to guide me/us to good locations.