Choices

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After a short walk along the coast I found this scene. I was struck by the contrast in color and intended this composition.

Specific Feedback

I would like to hear first impressions. Opinions on the composition and technical details that would improve this photograph in the field.

Technical Details

Focus stack 2 images
91mm
Iso 125
2s
f11

My first impressions are that I like your choice in composition to create a diagonal split between warm and cool colors. The texture of the rocks is also a nice component. One suggestion is to consider reducing some of the highlights (if possible) in the rocks, especially in the warm colored ones. Personally I like the reflected light but it feels a bit too much.

1 Like

The composition caught my eye – love the diagonal splitting light/dark and warm/cool. I agree with @DeanRoyer that the highlights on the rocks may be a bit much. But overall nice image!

1 Like

Thanks Dean for your comments! I was aware of the glare on the stones at the time of capture and lowered the exposure by 1/3 but it doesn’t seem to be enough in reality. Maybe a polarizing filter would have helped? Anyway I will try to re-edit this image by lowering the highlights in those areas.

Thanks Cathy! I’ll check out those high lights on the rocks.