Rocky Shores

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is usually my go-to beach relatively close to my house, and I usually find myself looking for new ways to capture the rock formations and lagoons.
It was a relatively stormy day when the waves were pretty big (relative to Israel, not close to what I encounter in California or Iceland), but that allowed for pretty interesting textures when the waves were receding.
Hope you like it.

Technical Details

This is a one frame shot of 0.6 seconds exposure using Z7 II 14-24mm F/11 14mm ISO 64

2 Likes

I definitely like it, Idan! That sky is almost biblical with it’s drama laden stormy clouds and the sun rays poking through along the horizon. The FG rocks direct the viewer into the scene beautifully and I love the texture and detail you captured in the wave action. No suggestions from me.

Superb conditions you captured here, and the colors are vibrant but realistic. That one rock on the left roughly halfway up the frame keeps drawing my eye away, though. I wish it was more in the center, or not there at all. May not have been possible. Either way, minor nit of an otherwise spectacular photo.

I like this image too with that awesome and dramatic sky and the wonderful texture of the water. One thing I would do, and I understand that it’s purely 100% personal choice/style, would be to cool down the shadow areas of the water. I think that the bluer water would add a bit more colour contrast to the warm light from the low angle sun.

Very nice, dramatic image. I’m with @Tom_Nevesely on trying out cooling the water color temp.

A very dramatic scene. I love the interplay between the storm clouds and sea, how the foreground rocks kind of mirror the clouds, the motion of the water, and the deep colors. Very nice!

A very nice classic near, mid, far landscape image. Shutter speed works well on the water and the sunset (I presume) has dramatic light. I am wondering if shifting the composition to the left to align vertically the sun, the mid-ground rock and the foreground rock might provide more balance. Right now, it seems weighted to the left. Nicely done.

1 Like

Interesting feedback! I will definitely take it into consideration

Spectacular image, Idan! Love the composition. My only suggestions, and that would be a very personal choice, I would darken the rocks in the foreground just a tad, as well as darken the light sky in the TRC, so the eye is drawn more to the exquisite water and sunset. Love, love this image!

Idan,

First, Welcome to NPN! I missed your first post (gorgeous as well!) Great to have you here; you’re off to a great start!

Beautiful, dynamic and dramatic seascape. Love this! Great drama in the clouds of course and I think the near/far composition works beautifully here - the rocks anchoring and the water treatment of the sea works beautifully as well, tying the top and bottom together. Well done!

I didn’t see this mentioned, and kinda surprised no one mentioned - and then maybe it’s not an issue, but I’ll mention anyway. The only suggestion I have would be to either desaturate the blues in the open patch of sky, upper right, or so some creative cloning. I actually like the warm/cool contrasts with that little patch of sky, but at least for me, the patch is small and pulls my eye away from the main elements of the scene. Not an image killer by any stretch, but an observation.

Thanks for sharing!