Rocky

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Walking along the seaside in Newfoundland I began to feel like I was in a somewhat barren, alien landscape. My intention here was to convey that feeling by minimizing any other elements such as the water, nearby trees, etc., only including rocks and boulders.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Lumix S1, 24-105mm @24mm
F14, 1/60

1 Like

Hi Bill, I definitely think you succeeded in conveying the feeling that this is an alien landscape. The two boulders frame the middle boulder excellently and provide a path for the eye to follow. I also find myself marveling at the sense of scale in the image. You have made the landscape seem vast, as if the boulder fields continue endlessly past what the frame shows. The separation between all three boulders seems to be very conscious, and it works for well for the photo. I do find myself slightly distracted by the rectangular rock close to the bottom left of the image, perhaps it could be darkened slightly in lightroom?

Hi Bill, I think you did a great job presenting the rocks and boulders and it is a nice, impactful image. Those boulders have a great, imposing presence. Having tried myself to frame such beach scenes and having been repeatedly been disappointed, I know that this is not an easy composition to achieve. Neither is it easy to get a good exposure with the difference in light between the FG and the sky. So top marks for that!

I agree with @Keenan_Wadsworth about the large rectangular rock in the FG.

Another thing that caught my eye is the presence of halos along the top edges of the boulders in the FG to middle ground, particularly on the left and right of the image where the sky is darker. A quick job using Dave Kelly’s method should work a treat here:

I also find that my eye is distracted by the small rock in the water in front of the more distant boulder. I thought it was a water droplet on your lens at first, but zooming in in PS I saw that it was a light coloured rock. There’s also a small black rectangular rock pointing out to sea in the same line of sight, on the edge of the water but closer to the camera. I did a quick clone job to remove these whilst also burning the light area along the bottom edge of the more distant boulder, as the lightness there attracted my eye still a little too much.

Finally, the light in the FG is very nice but perhaps a tad too vivid and I’d close the FG a little bit (I used a curves in multiply mode with a b&w gradient to do this, 22% opacity).

I hope you like my suggestions, or at least some of them :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea of these two heavyweights facing off. Due to there enormous mass the image to me feels somewhat threatening. And that does not make sense with a cloudless blue sky. If you have a chance I would shoot the same image during stormy conditions. I think that would be more impactful.