Turbulent Flow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Turbulent Flow,
I always enjoy visiting my favorite especially if I manage to find some new rock formations, I was really expecting this sunset to explode with red colors but sadly I was only able to get a red stripe in the horizion

Technical Details

Nikon Z7 II 14-24 F/2.8 Lee Filters
ƒ/11
2.5s
15mm
ISO64

1 Like

Hi Idan,
what a beautiful seascape shot. I really like the composition with the different rocks washed by the waves.

I quite like the drama that the sky adds to the mood. It looks like Mordor is on the other side of the sea. :grinning:

The shutter speed is a matter of taste. Usually, I prefer a faster shutter speed when I shoot water. I really like it when you can still see the structures in the water. That having said, I quite like your chosen shutter speed. It somehow adds to the mystical mood of the image.

If I wanted to change something about the picture, it would be two things:

1. The horizon isn’t straight. You can easily fix that in LR. If you activate the Crop Tool in LR (Keyboard shortcut R) you can choose the Straighten Tool:
    If you now click on the horizon on the left side of the image and draw a straight line over the entire horizon, your image will be rotated and your horizon is straight (I hope this description makes sense to you).
  2. There are spots on the three rocks in the foreground that are a little bit too bright. I would try to darken those areas slightly. Maybe you dodged them on purpose? Then I would dial it back a little bit. But that’s just my opinion.

Can’t wait to see more of your seascape stuff.

1 Like

Idan,
You might not have gotten the sky you were hoping for, but this still turned out pretty darn nice. the rocks are spaced out rather nicely and I like the water action around those rocks. My only suggestion would be a little CCW rotation as the horizon looks a little off. It has to be nice having this location so close by.

I really like how everything in the picture is pulling me to the same central area. The water swirls are pulling towards the large rock and the opening in the sky is right above it. The only thing I would change is crop a little from the left side to create a better balance between the two sides. Really nice picture.

Hi Idan,

This is a really inviting scene and image! :slight_smile:

I like the sky very much as presented! The concentration of dark clouds low on the horizon add a lot of depth and overall interest to the horizon itself.
The smooth wave action has lots of texture and almost distinct highlights, and that provides a nice layer of contrast to the rocks.
The rocks are very detailed and they have an interesting “Lava Rock” appearance, which is appealing to me. The green moss is lovely and it adds a nice splash of color to the image.

Was this taken at low tide since that moss is visible? If so, good choice to wait until low tide to be able to include that in the FG portion of the scene!

Keep in mind that when one or more of us makes suggestions for brightening or darkening, especially minor tweaks, they are only suggestions and opinions, those type of adjustments are pretty subjective. In the end it’s up to you, it is your image, your vision and your experience :slight_smile:

Other than the horizon leveling thing (a technical issue), I don’t see anything else that needs any attention :slight_smile:

Well done!

We’d all love to see more of your work!! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve made a few adjustments per your recommendations

Certainly an interesting image - i like your positioning and the rocks themselves
Re the water - I see that you exposed this one for 2.5 seconds - I would consider both , a 3 minute exposure ( may need a filter ) or 1/5 to 1/15 of a second - depending on the speed of the water and the distance from you