Churning Cove

Several of my personal favorite images from this past year are seascapes, as I spent some time at the coasts of California and Oregon during the year. This particular one is from the Point Arena area in northern California. This was my first time at this location, and I have to say it is quite spectacular. It was a windy day and the surf was rough. I had to hang on to my tripod so that it didn’t blow over, and to not end up with blurry images. I felt the black and white conversion portrayed the mood better than the color version.

Specific Feedback Requested

I feel this is a pretty good image, but any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Image details: f/9.0, 0.8 sec, ISO 400. Focal length 22mm.
Converted to black and white in Lightroom, along with localized adjustments of the sky and some of the water.

1 Like

Hi Ted! Your photo divides up into some nice balanced tiers from foreground to the central water and rocks and the sky. I think your shutter speed does a nice job of capturing the right amount of motion in the water, the water running off the rocks is my favorite part of the shot.