Civil Twilight

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

By the definition of Civil Twilight, you could not see this much detail when viewing this scene without artificial light. My resort was to make an image of the scene earlier, when the foreground was lit. A second image was made at true Civil Twilight and the foreground masked out so only the sky is visible. When assembled as a single image this is what I perceived and achieved.

Creative direction

I wanted to show what the sky of Civil Twilight looks like but with a representative depiction of the environment in the foreground.

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 39mm; f/9 @ 1/160 sec, -3 EV, ISO 400; gitzo tripod, RRS BH55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

In the remote area of New Mexico known as the Valley of Dreams Badlands, is a geological oddity. The entire area is a maze of toadstools, eroded formations, little windows, petrified wood, and more. The setting sun’s brilliant orange hue along the horizon, especially behind a notch in the rock formations, signals Civil Twilight which approximates the limit at which solar illumination suffices for the human eye to clearly distinguish terrestrial objects.