Clear Mountain Pond

Description: Quiet water. This pond was so still I didn’t even need to use a long exposure. Perfectly reflected forest Dillon Colorado. The trick was selecting an area of focus in the dense line of trees that surrounded this pond. I played with a number of compositions and used post-processing to emphasize one cluster of trees.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
Not a composite. Sony A7R3, 135mm, f/11 @ 1/30, ISO 100.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like it. Very still and eye-catching. I wonder if the lightest group of trees could benefit from a crop from the left, eliminating that one dead tree. Could be worth experimenting with. If it was mine I’d clone some of the horizontal lines in the reflection - debris probably. It would improve the vertical harmony. Also maybe play with toning down the sandy bank - it’s very bright and divides the scene too abruptly for me. Just some thoughts on a terrific reflection.

Jennifer, this is a lovely forest and lake scene. The reflections are nearly as clear as the forest and I like the arcing wedge of shoreline. I too would burn-in very subtly, the brightest bit around the shore in the center, but that area is not overexposed, so it’s about what you want to show…not what I would do.