Closing In

I followed a pack of wild dogs on a hunt. When the pack came across a herd of oryx, the pack split into a group of 3 and a group of 6. The smaller group stayed right in front of me and began its hunt of this young oryx. Amazingly, this oryx escaped back to the safety of the main herd.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This photo was taken near Noon in very bright light. I have tried to soften the light a bit and am open to suggestion.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D 500 and 80-400 lens at 1/2000, f/7.1 and ISO 900.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Love the frenzied action and flying dust is adding so much to it!
It is not easy to concentrate on picture elements while capturing this kind of action, as a result the action is centered in the frame. This much of foreground is not really required but if you have some more canvas on the top side, that will help.
It is amazing that Oryx could escape the Wild Dogs amidst this kind of action.

Jagdeep: thanks for the reply and suggestion. Picture elements by which I assume you mean the foliage, weren’t of much interest to me. Going higher in the frame just gives more foliage and the start of a featureless sky. For me, this was the best compromise and gave the oryx some ground to run into. Richard

Great action, Richard, and the dust cloud accents that a lot. The light looks fine to me, but for my taste it feels like there’s more foreground than needed. With all the action, I keep wanting a closer look. With the animals essentially forming a circle, I think a centered composition works and there’s not really much need for external room to run into.

Given the normal frenzied behaviour of Wild Dogs this is great!