Wild Dogs - In Defense

I had been shooting a wild dog hunt at a distance with an 80-400 lens on a crop sensor, when in a matter of seconds, the hunt moved very close to my vehicle. With no time to change, I shot the close in action. Here an adult oryx is defending a calf from attack by the dogs. The calf is being pressed underneath the horns of the adult as the adult tries to fend off the dogs . Would love to have shot wider, but… Richard

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
A bar of the vehicle the LLC has been removed.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What? No discussion of the outcome? Maybe I don’t want to know. This is a great action photo. I really like this.

Great action and awesome body language here.
Most of the times we’re short of focal length but sometimes we have more of it, like here.

Very interesting action here, Richard (particularly with the calf pinned underneath), and I like the vibrant colors in what would normally seem like a somewhat bland palette. If that’s dust being kicked up in the bottom half of the image, it adds a really nice soft touch as well.

Max