Wild Dogs Closing In

I took this photo last July at Tswalu Camp in S. Africa. A very large pack of dogs (16 in all) had come across a small herd of oryx. Initially, the pack broke into two groups and this smaller group of dogs harassed this adult oryx for a bit until they heard or saw that the balance of the pack had separated a calf from its parent. At that point, all the dogs joined in for the kill. The dogs were very wary of the horns of the adult. Cropped to about 50% of the original frame.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/800, f/8 and ISO 1000

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A very nice capture, Richard. Very emotive in that you know the dogs need the kill, but you feel for the prey as well. The colors are really great. Love the pink in the clouds. Very well seen and captured, and I appreciate the story behind it.

Hi Richard !
The scene is very nicely set with the dogs circling the Oryx, I also like the background tree and the clouds. I some how feel that more color and details can be extracted from the clouds.

Richard, what a storytelling image. I love this. Perhaps the color can be tweaked a little as Jagdeep mentioned but it is pretty as is. I would definitely consider running a NR on the sky though.