Coastal Fog

This is one of several images shot last week at a redwood state park during morning fog. There were no sun rays on this outing but watching shapes loom in and out of the fog provided several compositions. I’ve been playing with the color cast on this work. Any suggestions on which direction in color you would go would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoy this image! Not sure about where to go with the color. It seems a bit green now.

Igor,
I love the atmospherics with the fog flowing through the trees. To my eye it looks to green so I might try reducing that. Maybe opening the shadows a little, but not so much that it destroys the mood. I hope you have some more to show from your outing.

I like the light and mood Igor. Maybe try reducing the green saturation a touch as the others said.

I love photos like this and I really like the green cast on this one. I guess it depends on what you are going for? I think it has a nice unity.

This is very nice, Igor. The dense fog gives the scene a very mysterious feel. For my tastes I would be inclined to bring out a touch more contrast, but I know that your preference is for lower contrast images.

Brian,

It’s interesting. I am starting to do my own printing and I’m discovering that low contrast doesn’t look as good as prints. I guess those f/64 members knew a thing or two about photography. I’ve made an 8x10 print of this and it leaves something to be desired. Perhaps a larger print will be more impactful. I like how this looks on my monitor though.

I like the image and the mood, but it looks quite green to me overall. I find the green mist/sky looks odd. Otherwise, it hits the mark nicely.

Igor, the contrast and color look fine to me. I’ve photographed enough in the Shenandoah Mountains to state that in these conditions the green permeates everything. To be totally honest I’m on the fence about the centered tree trunk. JMHO
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Hi Igor,

I really like this type of image with a lot of mist. I think you could go with a touch more overall saturation which will increase the blue in the sky and complement that by dodging the yellow fringes on the pine trees–just a few ideas–overall I really like the atmosphere in the scene.

Igor,

First and foremost, the mood and atmosphere captured here is fantastic. Just the right combo of detail and obscurity with a little chaos mixed in.

I’m on board with most who reacted “green” first thing. Then again it’s like when your eyes are adjust to a dark room… after a few minutes you begin to see better. The color cast to me is most in the center third, especially where the fog is most clear. Where would I take this? Perhaps a bit less cyan, less yellow and more magenta in both the light and neutral tones. But then I wasn’t there. I may be making adjustments to fit a paradigm - rather than the experience. Anyways, this could go in many directions. If it were mine, I’d want to keep the foggy atmosphere, but neutralize the color just a bit.

Here’s my attempt. Basic adjustments included TK’s Cyan and Green channels each with their own H/S adj layers (decrease cyan, increase sat for green). Also a Selective color layer adjusting both the whites and the neutrals. Lastly adding a blank Levels layer and set to Soft Light blending with the intent of adding a skosh of overall contrast. Brought up the black point some 60 pts and layer opacity about 50%.

Oh, I also cropped a bit off the right. I was also torn about the tree in the center. Throwing it a little off center with a crop plus the fact the fog is obscuring things, this tree isn’t a deal breaker, but mentionable.

Lon

Thank you for giving this a go Lon. I really appreciate it. I was actually hoping that someone would run with it and actually show me what they meant.

No, the fog wasn’t actually very green or much yellow for that matter. It’s how I wanted it to look. Sometimes I like reality and at other times I like it less than what comes out of my imagination.

1 Like

Igor, super late to the party. This is such a great image. I think Lon has captured that color very very nicely. I think you have composed this very very well!

I’m just sitting back and enjoying this. Love the quiet and mysterious mood. Beautiful to me as is.