Redwood Mystery

We once lived near a small coastal redwood canyon where I often would take short hikes after work to regain my senses. The redwood trees in that area often had a greenish mold from the fog. I liked that color combination with that dark brownish red that coastal redwoods often posses. It’s dark in there so I faithfully preserved that. This is a straightforward composition, nothing fancy. How does it grab you?

Canon 6D, 24-105@55mm, f/14, iso200, 0.5sec

I really like the textures of the tree trunk and the green and red colors work nicely for me. I find myself wanting a bit more space on the left perhaps? Also the image appears slightly out of focus.

This is definitely very attention grabbing. I like the composition as is and I think the processing is spot on. As @Blake_Randall noted, the image is soft, not quite sure if it is from shutter speed or misfocusing. Just curious, what focal length is this, Igor?

Thank you Blake and Adhika. You’re right - definitely out of focus. This was shot 4 years ago so I’m not sure the cause of that.

Canon 6D, 24-105@55mm, f/14, iso200, 0.5sec

I’m pretty sure that this was shot with a tripod. I would never hand hold a shot at half a second at my age. It’s set for manual focus. It’s a bit disappointing because I wasn’t aware of it all these years. Oh well. This is the sort of image that needs to be tack sharp so this goes into the waste basket. Thanks for the heads up.

It’s too bad about the focus problem, this otherwise is a fine intimate scene. The texture and colors here (especially the red/brown stripe) are very striking. I have only been to Redwoods NP once, but I remember being fascinated with all the colors on the tree trunks, especially the green color you mentioned.

Igor, I too like very much what you were trying to do. Been there and done that way too often on the “great scene”, just a hair soft… My guess is that you pressed the shutter with your finger, for me at 0.5 s, not using a cable release often results is a bit of camera motion.

Igor,

This grabs me just fine. While I haven’t spent a lot of time in the redwoods, spent enough to recognize the greens. Your rendering sure looks true; including preserving the “darkness” of the forest. I do get the sense though that there’s a clearing nearby as the bottom half of the trunk is slightly lighter.

The comp is a bit static, but not to any detriment. You’re showcasing the details and color and it’s all front and center. Given these web sizes, I can’t really comment on focus/sharpness. Doesn’t look that off to me.

I know you framed this tightly on purpose and it works well for what you’re trying to say here. The only small wish from me would be a skosh more room at the bottom; similar to the sides. No biggie though.

Lon

I like the full presence this tree trunk has ( despite the focus issue ), the plant growth at the bottom adding its colour nicely to the image.

1 Like