Coastal Shapes and Forms + revision

New version:

Original:

b&w version:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I went to this location to shoot b&w images similar to those I had seen in a Minor White album. As usual, I never found them. The trick, I believe, is to shoot them just as the tide has receded and left them and the sand glistening. These rocks, alas, had already dried. Still, the smooth rocks are very inviting to the eye and I was there on a weekday when there were no footprints. That is a blessing in itself.

Specific Feedback

What I’m not sure about is the brighter rock on the left. I’m pretty sure I will get comments about that, especially from @Diane Miller. However, as the years go by I am less and less concerned about imperfections such as that. I also made the image fairly light. I guess it was a choice. I could drop the exposure I suppose. It’s not as exotic as some of my more recent rocks but I like that calmness about it.

Technical Details

GFX50R 45-100mm, f/11, focus stacked

5 Likes

This one is very engaging but I can’t really articulate why. I like the high-key approach. Ditto the mass of detail in the gravel juxtaposed with the smooth, larger rocks. It all combines to make a pleasantly unusual image.

The bright rock on the left doesn’t bother me. If you darkened it, that might make the bright rock in the center look odd. The only thing that bothers me a little is the dark spot on the edge in the upper left.

I like to see a story in an image. And I see contrast between permanence of the rock and impermanence of the ice. I don’t see any problem with the rock on the left hand side. The only niggle is the large rock intersecting the ice at the top. Gives a little tension to me, but that may be ok too, to add to the interest. Love the natural high key feeling. Beautiful image.

Igor,

This is outstanding, I love this image! It’s bold, it’s graphic and most of all, it’s mysterious to me. Sure, it’s rock and pebbly sand… but the revealed rock above the main rocks have me wondering if it is ice or just exposed rock? The cool tones made me first think it was ice, but then it makes for sense that it’s rock - but no matter, combined with the pointed rocks just make for a very cohesive and intimate scene.

I must say though, I can’t help but mention my initial reaction… and that would be “Hershey Kisses” Ok, not chocolate… but the shapes of the two larger rocks is what my imagination is calling out.

As far as the brightness of the rock on the left? perfectly processed as is. I’m with Don, any alteration there affects the main rock. the general elevated luminosity here just seems appropriate.

If I had any nits it would be a couple small distractions on the edges - UL that Don mentioned and perharps the tiny slice of rock just about dead center top edge. Very minor that only the border patrol would call out.

Love this one.

Beautiful graphic image and color palette. I do wonder what using a slightly higher camera position that separates the main rock from the background rock would look like.

Hi Igor, this is a really fine image. Those GFXs can really pull the detail. I think the focus stack works well too, although I get a sense that the edges where the rocks/Ice meet the sand seem too well defined…too sharp. Could just be the JPG conversion.

I think the comp itself is very strong.

Calm and peace jumped out at me as well Igor; it has a Zen Garden feel to it that I very much enjoy.

Interesting; I’m finding that to be true about some of the things that used to concern me myself. With that said, I of course had to download it and play with reducing the luminosity of that left-edge rock. I have to say I appreciate it dropped a tad; it let’s the eye rest centered, which adds to the peace of the image IMHO.

Absolutely beautiful as is.

I followed your recommendation and I think it’s an improvement. That rock always bothered me from the start. There are actually many ways to go with this image. I could make the ‘hershey’ brighter. I could add contrast and drop the brightness. At this point I’m not sure any are better than others.

1 Like

I totally agree with this statement. This is an image I could look at for a long time and not get bored. I also agree with Lon - my initial impression was the look of Hershey’s White Chocolate Kiss. The original post was excellent and the revision is even better.

Excellent shot, Igor! Very effective composition and processing. I think the revised version is much nicer than the first, even though there’s not a great difference. It just works much better. I prefer the color version over the B&W a good bit. Very nice effort!

Yeah. The b&w version sucks.

Love the updated version I

Igor, your capture really speaks to the intricate dance between resilience and time. The contrast of textures is particularly striking—the smoothness of the weathered rocks against the complexity of the pebbled beach. It’s a testament to your eye for detail and the subtle beauty that nature sculpts.

1 Like