Cold Glow

Both the foreground and background ended up tighter than I realized when shooting. I like the rest of the image though; is that a deal breaker?? All other thoughts/critiques welcome.

On a completely different note, when I saw the new website had Critique Forums, I thought it would be a refining area and that some images might then be reposted in the Image Galleries. I haven’t noticed that to be the case. Is there a reason I don’t know about, or is that just personal choice of each photographer?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, handheld at 10.4mm (28.0 mm equivalent)
1/180 sec at f/11 and ISO 125

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!

I love the light and the colors here, John. Composition is pretty nice, too. I agree with your assessment about the FG and BG could be less compressed but there’s still so much to like even as it is. I like the shape of the immediate FG and how i echoes the mountain. And then that shape is echoed in the midground.

As for reposting images to the galleries, I am still learning my rope here so I would love to hear what others say about it, too.

I like the foreground so much that I would make an image of just that. But, in general, I prefer intimates over grand landscapes. In this case I feel the snowy peaks and sky steal some of the foregrounds thunder. There is a natural progression of fg to background so it’s well thought out and constructed. If it were me I would slightly raise the exposure below the tree line and burn the snow on the mountains. The more I look at this the more I appreciate what you’ve put together, a set of arcs that progress from fg to the clouds. Really nice.

I have been recently admiring the images that have been coming from Antarctica. The best are studies of shades and casts of blue ice. The bottom here is a fine example of that.

The same thing happens to me John, in the field it looks fine, but at the computer I always find myself wanting more breathing room. It took a while to force myself to develop the habit, but I “always” compose too wide.

While you do have a nicely balanced composition, with a nice FG/MG/BG progression, IMO it seems like there are two strong subjects competing with each other. In these near/far type vertical images, the strong foreground element like the snow mound is the viewer’s entry point, and then the viewer’s eye wanders to the background mountain. In this image, the warm light is so strong on the mountain, that my eye goes there first. And the snow mound is so much in shadow that for me it recedes rather than being the starting point. So to some degree, I think there are really two pictures here, which is related to to the comments from @Igor_Doncov.

I like this a lot, John. I see a real nice transition from the fore to the back and it comes together quite well for me. No suggestions here.

John,

Such a beautiful winter landscape. Have we seen this before? It looks familiar, if not similar. But that’s no matter, it’s always a treat to view your work.

Terrific near/far comp. Room at the bottom? Yeah, perhaps a bit more breathing room, but I think you’re right on the edge of being good as far as that goes.

Processing spot on. No suggestions from me.

Lon

I quite like this, the colours and light are fantastic. What I find quite intriguing is that my eyes keep jumping from the foreground interest to the background and back again. Both elements are nice on their own but it feels like I’m looking at two separate images at the same time…