White Crown

Weekend before last, four friends and I went backpacking on Mt. St. Helens. We had about two feet of snow the two nights we camped, and on Sunday morning the clouds cleared to give a view of the mountain.

I’m interested in your thoughts on the color (and as always, any other thoughts/suggestions). The light on the foreground was from the sun peeking through a cloud, while the top of the mountain was directly exposed. I’ll commonly choose “Daylight” when converting from RAW, but in this instance I found the foreground to be too red and decided to stick with what the camera automatically chose.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
A stitch of three handheld images at 10.4 mm (28.0 mm equivalent)
1/125 sec at f/11 and ISO 125

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

John well done. I can’t help but think there are a handful of more intimate images in the shapes and tones of the snow in the foreground. I’d play with some cropping to see if there is anything that looks good to your eye. What a beautiful morning!

1 Like

Fabulous photo as is, but I agree I crop of some of the bottom might make it even better. Regarding the color, snow in the shade is often blue, but that being said, maybe try just a little nudge into more yellow. Not sure if that would be better, looking at the blue snow makes me feel cold, just like I’m there.

1 Like

John,

Beautiful winter landscape. I’d say the color balance is spot on - good call there. The details as well as soft forms and patterns in the snow are wonderful.

If you were to do any cropping, I would crop off some of the right. To me the pines are a bit heavy in the composition. A semi-squarish crop would emphasize those forms and light in the snow and make for a great near/far comp leading the eye to the mountain.

Lon

1 Like

I like the Foreground shapes a lot, Maybe a bit higher perspective would have made the mountain more prominent?
I would take some blue out of the snow…

1 Like

Looks really good, John. The color looks right to my eye. I can see why Lon suggested a right crop, but I like the shadow in the snow there. I would not change anything.

1 Like

John, the details and textures in the snow are fantastic and I love those twinkling highlights scattered about the scene. The color looks just fine to me. The cooler tones are just what I would expect. I also like your low POV as it puts me right into the image. Outstanding work.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion and thoughts! Here’s a square crop to compare.

Square crop is about perfect John. I guess in the instagram world I am coming around to the square crop because it works a lot of times and this is one.

1 Like

John, this is a quite lovely image that tells a great story about winter. Those snow mounds are just wonderful, what a great find, they totally make this image work. I do prefer the square crop in your re-work. I think Lon suggested the square crop because he thought the pines were too heavy in the original. I think the original also had a bit too much negative space in the LRC, and i think the square crop does a nice job addressing that as well. I think the re-work also has a better WB. Overall this is a really nice image, great work.

1 Like

The square crop works well for me. You might find some abstracts in the fg.
ML

1 Like