Columbia River Gorge Sunrise w/Repost

Repost with Cloud Cloned Out:

Initial Post:

So, yes, this is a totally cliched image. Everyone who goes to Rowena Crest in the Columbia River Gorge takes this shot, or very nearly. But this is the first time I’ve taken a sunstar image that actually kinda worked. There was very little haze, and almost no wind (a real rarity here). The lack of wind allowed me to do a 4 image focus stack.

Anyway, I know it’s been done so many times, but not by me…so there. :slightly_smiling_face:

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated. I cropped from the left because the lower left corner was kinda boring.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Fujifilm GFX 100, GF 32-64mm f/4 @ 32mm, 1/50 sec @ f/22, ISO 800, 4 Image focus stack, Tripod, Polarizer.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen that many pictures from this area so it’s pretty new to me. The flowers look so fresh and colorful. This really says Springtime to me. Hope to make it there some day and see this in person. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more.

David, I haven’t seen this either, but looks like a beautiful place to visit. I’m enjoying the scene, and I love the sunstar as well as the flowers.

Hi David! This is a beautiful shot! Almost every image I’ve seen from that spot, the photographer complained about the difficulty with the wind. I’m happy you got to experience the rare calm. And you made the most of it!

Cliche? Maybe for some (or many), but I never tire of this scene. I You have captured it very well.

Lovely image with wonderful light, and the detail you got in the FG is stunning – being able to stack and having the high resolution sensor were fantastic! The sunstar is perfectly positioned and the squarish crop helps pull me down the slope to the river and the sun.

David, I should love to make an image as you call it cliched . Beautiful by showing the environment colored by the sun.

@Igor_Doncov, @Shirley_Freeman, @Steve_Kennedy, @Jim_Gavin, @Diane_Miller, and @Ben_van_der_Sande thank you for the nice comments. I truly appreciate it. As I’ve had time to look at the “finished” image more, I come to find I like it more and more. Rowena has always been one of my most difficult locations to photograph. The lack of wind and haze this time allowed for a great time. Plus, there were only 8 other photographers there. Almost had the place to myself on Friday–a definite advantage to retirement. Weather is looking good on Wednesday, so I may try again.

Thanks again for the great comments.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

David,

Nothing wrong with “cliche” - especially when executed so beautifully!

Colors and processing look spot on. The placement of the sunstar is just right, although feels a little tight to the top - then again, more sky isn’t going to improve this, so good decision on the crop/placement.

Only small suggestion is losing the lone small cloud in the UR. Very minor detail and actually in the gray area of digital modifications, right? :slight_smile:

Well done, beautiful spring image.

Lon

Thanks for the comments, Lon. I posted an update with that cloud gone. :slightly_smiling_face:

As @Lon_Overacker says, Nothing wrong with “cliché” images. Heck, how empty would Yosemite be if nobody took cliché images. We all want “our” image. LOL
I am not aware of this spot and have never seen an image from there so this is totally fresh to me. Your sun star came out really nice and is well placed in the scene. The foreground flowers are the star of the show though. This says summers coming. Beautiful image David.

1 Like