Aerial Shot - Sunrise in the Columbia Gorge

This image, taken in May, with a DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone, has been a real challenge to process. The Mavic 2 Pro has a Hasselblad lens and 20MP 1 inch sensor. It’s really great, but this was a very dynamic scene and it struggled to capture it all. I suppose I could have bracketed, but I didn’t think about that.

This is the third processing from raw as I have been unhappy with the previous processings. I like the sky and the foreground, but the middle area had a bit of haze/smoke and it’s been a challenge to get that area to look decent.

Specific Feedback Requested

Looking for input on a couple fronts:

1. Does the overall image look realistic? It’s pretty close to what I remember.
  2. Does the haze in the middle area bother you? Does it look reasonable?
  3. I really like the comp, but would love to hear other thoughts.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
DJI, Mavic 2 Pro, 1/20Sec@ f/4.5, ISO 100, No filters.

I like the comp as well, I think you could have had a little more room below the structure to give it some room to breath but the rest of it looks nice for sure.

I would say it does look pretty realistic. There is some cyan/green in the sky which I generally don’t like, but that is personal preference. You may be able to try to expand how far the warm colors reach into the central portion of the sky as well.

I think the haze is nice and maybe the best element of the image!

Good stuff!

David, I think this looks pretty realistic, and the haze doesn’t bother me at all. Like David W, I’d like just a little more room below so the curve of the stairs doesn’t touch the frame edge. The background felt pretty tilted CCW, but I brought it into Photoshop and put some guides on the building, and that seems OK, so perhaps it’s just an optical illusion. I have the same drone, and find that I have to calibrate the gimbal almost every time I fly it, which is a little frustrating.

Thanks @David_Wallace, and @Craig_Moreau I really appreciate the comments. I’ll look at the sky (dang my color blindness)…thanks.

Craig, I pulled it into PS to make sure it was straight too. It was. Must be the angle of view from above, and perhaps the 28mm lens.

Funny, I have never had to calibrate the gimbal. Wonder why that is.