Hood River Valley Twilight

This is an aerial shot of one of my favorite locations to photograph the stunning fruit orchards in Hood River, Oregon. This was in mid April this year. The sky was fairly boring, but I’m still pleased with how well the image came out, coming from a small drone camera. I got this drone late last year and took the FAA training and testing to become certified. Great experience.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
DJI Mavic 2 Pro, Hassleblad camera and 10.3mm lens (28mm equivalent), 1/5 second @ f/4.5, ISO 100. About 200 feet above ground.

1 Like

Awesome capture! Nice flowing motion leading through the orchards towards Mt Hood!

Thanks Vanessa. I’m still learning the art of drone photography and videography…

1 Like

I would imagine that drone photography would be really hard because it’s not like your actually physically looking through the drone! I would probably crash it!

The hardest thing about flying a drone is that, unlike a pilot in an aircraft, if the drone is facing you, then right is left, left is right and forward is backward, backward is forward…you have to adjust your controls based on the direction of the drone. A pilot is always facing forward, like in a car…I get mixed up sometimes…but fortunately haven’t crashed yet. :grinning:

1 Like

Cool shot!! A Hassleblad on a drone?? Sounds like the nudge I need to scratch an increasing itch! A neighbor has a drone and he says he likes the goggles that put you in the cockpit, but there are arguments for being able to see the drone, too. Maybe an observer…

What is involved in the training and certification? (Do I get a leg up for having a commercial pilot’s license? Probably not, as I proved hopeless trying to fly my father-in-law’s radio-controlled model.)

Hi @Diane_Miller, yes, if the pilot is using FPV (First Person View) goggles then the FAA requires an observer to keep an eye on the drone and look for any obstacles or air traffic nearby.

The training and certification is relatively easy. You certainly have a leg up with a commercial pilot’s license. You already know about the regulations, air space, weather, airport signage and such. You just need to learn the details about unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

I signed up for online training at the Pilot Institute. The course is “Part 107 Made Easy.” I think it was $149 for lifetime access and they keep the course up to date as regulations change. They have plenty of tests and training. I took the course then signed up for the FAA test. Had to go to a local airfield to take the test. I got a 97% (one trick question :smirk:) so the training was very good and worth the price.

I have thought that once I retire (soon), I will sign up to do inspections (bridges, towers, roofs, etc…) and since that’s commercial work, I felt the need to get a commercial license.

A lot of drone flyers don’t bother with the license, but if you’re posting pictures or videos online or even giving them to someone for commercial purposes then it’s likely you should have a commercial license.

The Mavic 2 Pro is the only drone with the Hassleblad camera/lens. It’s also expensive and rumor has it that DJI is about to release a Mavic 3. I think it’s also one of the few to shoot raw images. Anyway, sorry to “drone” on, I do love the aerial side of photography.

David, really like the leading lines to the mountain and how it rises as a focal point even in BG. You are spurring me on to get my drone out, been a few years.