Mountain Sunset

This was shot from Crag Rag Hut atop Hood River Oregon. I was actually at an outdoor wedding and had brought my camera. After things started slowing down a bit, I snuck out to my car and grabbed my camera and took this image. I would love to hear your feedback on how you would improve this photo. Thanks!

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C’s most welcome.

Technical Details

1 Like

Hi Scott,
I miss Mount Hood - she’s so damn impressive - and this image is a good example why!
Is this a sky replacement? The reason I ask is that the clouds seem to have very “late” light hitting them yet Mount Hood also has light on it, which is usually not possible at the same time.

Scott,

What a glorious sunset! I can imagine being at the reception, a beautiful venue… and just itching to be grabbing some images! glad you were able to sneak away.

A grand sunset for sure. My only wish would be a scene without the tree. I get it, I’m betting you had limited clearance and vantage point and the solution is to go ahead and incorporate as best you can in to the composition - And you did just that.

My thought is the highlights on the mountain are simply reflecting the light from above? At least that’s my thinking.

Beautiful image.

Lon

Scott, my man! First of all, I really enjoy this composition. Beautifully positioned and has a clear main subject with complimenting subjects as well. The only thing for me is the lighting. The landscape is a little dark. Maybe lifting the shadows a bit, or if this is an image blend, some masking for the landscape. Again, love the composition and the light is epic.

Hi Matt - it is composite. I merged two photos taken at different times of the day. I was hoping it wasn’t so apparent, but obviously you caught it right off the bat. May try a bit of tweaking. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Lon. I included the tree intentionally to add a bit of depth and comp to the photo. Personal preference I guess. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks David! I am going to do just that as you and others suggested. Appreciate the feedback!

Right on - yeah I think that’s when it’s useful to disclose that in the technical details section of the template on the submissions here - it can really help folks help you hone in on what you’re hoping to improve. IMO it’s really hard to make a convincing sky replacement even with all of the tools available today - this is because you really have to think about how the light would have naturally looked if it was really there. Of course if your goal isn’t a realistic image then who cares!

1 Like

Thanks Matt. I am new to composites, but totally agree with your statements. Thanks again for the feedback!

1 Like