Coming Apart

I loved the way the foam felt like it was coming apart - like spreading centers in tectonic plates (on a very small scale!). The dark halos around the foam gave it a 3-D feel and the little bits left in the spaces made for a nice texture.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I tidied up around the edges - are there are any remaining spots that feel awkward?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

a7r3, 105mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 2500, hand held

5 Likes

Hi Bonnie! You’ve really captured a fantastic section of repeating and complementary patterns in the foam. I see successive arcs in the middle of the frame…they seem to run from bottom-right to center and are pleasing to my eye. I’m so impressed that you saw an area with consistently clear spacing between the foam elements throughout the entire image. Kudos!

Well, Bonnie, you’ve done it again. This is a real gem. The balance is perfect. You’ve managed to get just the right degree of separation to where I can see, actually feel the order in the chaos. What I mean is, if you zoom in a little bit more, it’s going to look chaotic. Equally, you pull out a little more, also chaotic. It has the feel of a topography and I can’t help but being amazed at how the microcosm so mirrors the macrocosm. The tonal separation is perfect and the texture provided by the tiny bubbles is sublime. Tiniest of all possible nits would be to have just a touch of foam in the lower left corner but really, that’s minor, minor.

Really very nice Bonnie. I love the dark negative spaces as much as the textured forming bubbles. Nicely seen and captured.

Fantastic abstract Bonnie. This has to be viewed large for maximum impact! The contrast and detail are stunning.

Bonnie, great work finding the order here! As others have said, the balance is great, as is the texture. My only nit is that the foam looks a little more yellow at the very top, and it keeps pulling my eye up there.

Well done balanced patterns and texture image,

The repetition of the pattern is just exquisite. Quite interesting Bonnie. Great job of seeing this.

Thanks so much, @Mark_Muller, @Kerry_Gordon, @linda_mellor, @Eva_McDermott, @Craig_Moreau, and @Izzy for your comments and appreciation.

Craig, you’re right about that yellow tinge. I split toned this a bit and I think putting on the slight vignette made the color at the top more saturated.

Kerry, there actually was a bit of foam in the LLC that I cloned out, so all the corners would be clear. I think the clear space in the LLC is a bit larger than in the other corners and it stands out a bit. Perhaps I’ll fuss with it some more. You’re right about the balance of dark/light and shapes. I made quite a few shots, at various distances/zooms. This was the one that looked the best.

This is gorgeous, Bonnie. I have to say that you spaced out the foamy bubbles just about perfectly around the frame. It looks like a maze to me. My only suggestion; and this is just my personal preference; would be to bring the foam just a touch more towards white instead of yellow. Great eye to spot this beauty.

1 Like

I’m late to the party here. But I find this to be a great pattern. No nits from me.

1 Like

Very creative and quite excellent. No suggestions here.

1 Like