Coming in for a Snack (Ruby-throated Hummingbird)

Image:

Description:

This was from the first night of multi-flash hummingbird photography when the birds were naive, now they have learned that the flashes must be avoided. Also, this type of canna works the best in my area over Salvia. I will try some Cuphea species next and hope for another series. Lighting worked well and this shot was taken with my original background. I tried a few backgrounds with stronger patterns; however, I just did not care for the result. The lighting is OK, and I’ll admit that smaller flowers show off the bird better than large ones. Unfortunately, the Salvia are taking a beating from bumblebees and are not that attractive to these hummingbirds.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z9 600mm f4 (1/200sec at f18, ISO 200 3 flashes on subject pointed down and at oblique angles around flower, single flash on BG. All flashes set at 1/16 power in manual mode. Processing included crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Brightness & Contrast.

1 Like

Hi @Jim_Zablotny . This is a pretty nice image. As you noted, the lighting is OK. Since my hummingbird article was just posted, I’ll add a couple of additional comments based on my thoughts in the article. Of course, there isn’t really a right/wrong, just opinions.

The settings of 1/200, f/18, ISO 2000 tell me that the flashes are too far away from the intended subject. I shoot at ISO 200 and there is no need for any post processing noise reduction. Since they flashes are in manual mode, the only way you are going to get similar lighting at a much lower ISO is having the flashes closer to the flower. You mentioned that the hummers learned the flashes must be avoided. I’m sure they are all different, but I regularly get visitors that will feed on a flower for 30 seconds or more while I take 30 or more images and they could care less about the flashes.
Background: I think this came up in a prior image as well. I prefer backgrounds with some character rather than just a smooth color.
Fun stuff, challenging stuff. Glad you are enjoying it.

1 Like

Excellent IQ and lighting, and wonderful (to me) smooth BG with subtle detail! I think the flower is in perfect scale to the bird and I love the way it cleanly exits the frame. You could crop this to just a wonderful portrait of the plant! Although I don’t do this on a regular basis, my experience has been the same as Keith’s in that the birds (Anna’s and migrant Rufous) aren’t spooked by the flashes. But I’ve used 1/64 power, which is over 1/10,000 sec duration. I got good exposures at f/18 at ISO 800.

1 Like

Thank you @Diane_Miller and @Keith_Bauer. My wireless sticks and the actual ISO 200 with flashes set about 15 to 20 inches away from the target. Ruby-throated hummingbirds stay for about 5 to 10 seconds at the flowers. I did have one come to a cup plant that was set off to the side, but only for about a second.

Ahh… I see the updated text to ISO 200, not ISO 2000. That makes more sense. I don’t understand the need for DeNoise AI for an image at ISO 200 though.

1 Like

I use DeNoise AI mainly for sharpening with low ISO images. The Z9 produces very little to no noise at ISO 200. I used to use NIK for sharpening, but Topaz DeNoise AI does a pretty good job at it…Jim

Hi Jim, I like this approach shot and the background and lighting look good to me. Bird has a pleasing pose as well. Well done.

1 Like

I like this composition a lot, Jim. The hummer doesn’t have to have it’s beak right up to the flower for a good image. Very well done.

1 Like

Excellent image of both hummingbird and flower. I like the wing position, though I’d like to see the beak separate from the wing.

1 Like