Common Blue (& rework)

Rework:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Common Blue is found all over the Palearctic. I grew up with them in Ireland, where they are still common in the summer. This one I saw in Bulgaria in June 4 years ago, sunning itself in a meadow.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D7100 + 200-500mm (@500mm) f11 1/250 ISO 1000

I recently returned to this to run it through Topaz Denoise and reduce the brightness.

1 Like

Mike, this little Blue sure stands out in it’s green surroundings. The details in the bf are excellent. If you’re so inclined, I could see cloning out the darker bit in the urc and blurring the stem on the right to make this more of an artistic color statement.

Very nice look at this specimen. I agree with Mark that, with a bit of “clean-up” this would look almost painterly. Either way, very fitting for this week’s Challenge.

Sooo pretty!! Good suggestions to take it from 9.9/10 to 11/10. (Hardly needed, but why not…)

Very nice lycaenid and I like how it appears to float above the leaf. You might be be able to crop out those elements Mark addressed in his comments. Well done…Jim

Lovely capture, Mike! Actually at first I thought you had caught him in flight. I agree with the other comments that this is a very fine art/painterly looking image just by blurring out the background more. Beautiful colors and details.

Thanks very much @terryb @Vanessa_Hill @Jim_Zablotny @Diane_Miller and @Mark_Seaver. I’ve posted a rework above in response to your good suggestions.