My Good Side + Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Common Bluebottle is common in S-E Asia, but only found in Korea in the warmest, southernmost parts. In my area I’m lucky if I see one all year, so I was excited to find this one yesterday. On looking closer, I saw that its left hindwing was deformed and curling outwards. This didn’t seem to affect its flight too much, though, and it fed for several minutes on this bush. However, unlike a human model, it kept on showing me its bad side. Finally it turned and I could capture it on its good side.

Specific Feedback

I used a fast SS as it fluttered continuously when feeding.

Technical Details

D500 + 150-600 (@600mm) 1/6400 f6.3 ISO 6400

Adjusted tonalities and sharpened wings a bit in LR, Denoise, Highlights in PS and cropping.


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

  • Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

A nice looking butterfly and I like the coloration of the wings and pose. The bright white flower are in the right spot and connect the BF to the rest of the scene. Lighting is perfect for the scene…Jim

Mike: Beautiful subject and glad it turned around for you. Isn’t it great that our cameras can do all this wonderful capture stuff and still produce a great result. Are you close to Seoul? I would love to see how the country has changed in the almost 50 years since I was stationed there. It was pretty neat then and probably better now. >=))>

Gorgeous, with the perfect color palette! Small nit, but I’d remove the light area behind the wingtip – it pulls the eye away from the very pretty centerpiece.

Thanks @Bill_Fach @Sandy_Richards-Brown @Jim_Zablotny @Diane_Miller. Diane, I’ve removed that spot (see repost) - it was bothering me too, so many thanks.
@Bill_Fach: after 50 years I think you would be shocked by the modernity of it all - as I am. But where I live near the south coast (Uiryeong town) there are still lots of hills and valleys where man has not yet hacked his way in - though they get fewer by the year. As elsewhere in the world, fires and floods (in denuded areas) have become a big threat lately. And I could go on. But even within Seoul city limits you can still climb a hill and see interesting birds (like Alpine Accentors) and insects. If you check out Google Earth, you can find many excellent sites, and they’re often deserted. And you seldom meet tourists, which is great!

Yes – nice touch!!

1 Like

Excellent image of this beautiful butterfly, Mike. The repost brings it up a notch.

Mike, this is a beautiful butterfly with it’s pastel blues and spots of red. You’ve got the details perfectly throughout the body and wing. It also fits well into the color scheme of the surroundings.

@Dennis_Plank and @Mark_Seaver - many thanks; I’m glad you liked this butterfly.