Compton's Tortoise Shell

D500, 800mm (200-400mm f4 + 2.0 TC); (1/800 sec at f16, ISO 2500), This was taken beneath the Cut River Bridge in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. I waited about 15 minutes for the butterfly to perch down lower on the tree trunk. Processing= slight crop for comp, levels, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast, Rubber stamp tool and Gaussian blur on soft part of BG to remove OOF spider web and its highlights. This wasd a new butterfly for me and they were abundant at this sight along the shore of Lake Michigan.

1 Like

Jim, it was worth the wait. I really like how you captured this old and battered BF on what looks like an old a battered tree trunk. Nice details in the BF, and I like the composition.

1 Like

Wonderful capture Jim. Everything was thought out very well. I agree with Shirley on the comp, well done on the post process as well.

1 Like

Jim: This guy really looks good against the weathered and bleached trunk. Congrats on the find and a fine capture. >=))>

1 Like

Jim, Nice composition and well captured. colors on the butterfly are great with great details on the wings.

1 Like

Jim, how nice to get a new BF. This one looks good with it’s weathering fitting well with the weathered trunk.

1 Like