Cones and Needles

This was taken last fall. I was intrigued by the lines and shapes for this image. And the fine detail that the D810 is providing. There is not much to add here. It’s a pretty straightforward statement. Pine cones in various states of decay on a floor of pine needles.

D810, 24-70mm

5 Likes

Love the subtle colors and the complex lines and curves blending together! Great shot.

1 Like

This is really beautiful, I love all of the lines of the pine needles and the twigs.

Your straightforward comment nailed my thoughts. I can see this as beautiful wall art in a rustic wood cabin somewhere.

Igor, It seems so easy. But you must have an eye for it. I like the nice quiet colors.

I haven’t been that mobile recently. Certainly nowhere near as much as David Dillemuth. I really think the camera is responsible for this being acceptable. The old Canon 6D could not have pulled it off. Now that I look at this I wonder if this would have been better without the long diagonal needle from upper center to upper right.

1 Like

Love how you framed this and how balanced it is. The only thing that distracts me is the stick in lover right part.

Thank you, Greg. And you know, I darkened(sp?) that stick to be less of an eyesore.

Igor,
This is one of those scenes that is subtle and understated so I think the viewer has to slow down to take in all the fine details and shades of color. The large version is particularly nice. I do not know why, but this is slightly disorienting to me. I tried rotating it around thinking it might be the direction of the pine cones, but I wound up with the same end result. Even so I like this very much.

I love this type of image. It allows the viewer to kinda find what they like and discard anything they don’t like while still loving the image as a whole. Lots to explore and enjoy.

1 Like

Igor, I knew this was yours the instant I saw it come up. Decay can be a worthy subject, and you told a nice story here. This is a good situation to let textures and shapes do the talking instead of color.

I actually like having the stick in the LRC, because it points up to the pine cones and effectively fills what otherwise would be negative space. I also like how the lines of the fallen needles sweep my eye around the image. Very nice bit of seeing on your part…

1 Like

Oh, you mean the pine cones should face downward? I hadn’t thought of that.

Love everything about this image with a small caveat. I kind of agree with @Ed_Lowe about the orientation. How about this one?

1 Like

Yes, I like this too. What’s interesting is that the long diagonal needle in the ulc doesn’t bother me here but the flowing needles from the right side are starting to bother me in this one. I don’t know why they look good coming up from below but not so good coming in from the side. I think that darkening the bright ones near the border might help. I do like the arrangement of the cones vertically more, perhaps. Thank you for the suggestion, @Michael_Lowe.

I love intimate scenes like this Igor. Wonderful detail.

Hi @Igor_Doncov, very nice intimate shot. I love the tones and how you arranged the composition. I have one question for you: did you stack some images or is it a single shot? Thanks for sharing.

Single shot. I don’t do stacking. I just feel that the benefits of stacking in landscapes aren’t worth the effort. I want to go on to the next subject already rather than spend a lot of time on one shot. I actually enjoy the seeing part of photography the most. I spend a lot of time on composition because that’s part of seeing but enjoy the rest a lot less. However, I have lost some of my best compositions to DOF problems. I hope my next camera will have automatic focus stacking capturing that can be used later in processing. This was likely shot at f/16.

I also lost some compositions due to DOF problems, that’s why asked you.
Thanks for the reply.

Wonderful Igor. I love this kind of imagery of nature and I myself am always scouring the ground for little beauties like this. And I’m sure you and other probably experience - finding and recognizing these is more difficult than one would think.

Beautifully processed as presented. I wasn’t thinking of a vertical orientation, but having seen it, I do like that as well, maybe a little better. Just feels like a vertical. Not sure why.

My only suggestion would be to burn down or alter the color of the brighter gray larger stick in the LR quadrant. That’s being picky, but there’s nothing else to be critical of!

Lon

Actually, this one did take a bit of time. I first saw the comp in a bed of cones with my iPhone but didn’t have the camera. When I went back with the camera I could no longer see it. Either more cones had fallen, or needles, or I just couldn’t find it. Anyway the search had to start all over with the Nikon. When I finally found this it was in a sunny area. I wanted an overcast day like the first day but the weather did not comply. So I came back the next day when I thought it should be in shadow. Mistimed that again. I think I came back 3 times before making the shot. It’s not always this complicated but for some reason this one took some effort. I’m sure others have stories like this with their images .

1 Like