Cooperative Kestrel

This Kestrel at Ridgefield has been using one of the “Area Closed Beyond This Point” signs along the driving loop very consistently this fall and winter. If you do three or more loops in a day, you’re likely to encounter it as I did on Tuesday (and just missed it on another loop). Like most birds, in makes a big mess where it perches, and I suspect it has occasional help. I was trying to clean up the sign a bit and decided I might as well go whole hog with it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything that strikes you. The cleaning up around the tail made things tricky to avoid making it look too obvious-how did I do there?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

What do you think about cropping part way through the bottom word? The sign was truncated pretty much in this spot in the original, so after adding the “KESTREL” when I decided to get carried away there wasn’t really room for the whole thing and I thought it looked fun this way.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 516 mm, beanbag on car window, f/9, 1/640, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Topaz AI Clear for noise reduction. Perspective warp on the text to get it to line up with the sign.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dennis, I had to comment here as these guys are a true favorite of mine. What a gorgeous cloaking of feathers they’re shrouded in. I like your tongue and cheek liberty you’ve taken with the sign too…:+1:
I was fortunate to have seen one of these guys sitting on our backyard fencing just yesterday. We’re backed up to the Cleveland National Forest and it’s always a good place for a meal or two…:cowboy_hat_face:

Couldn’t help but laugh seeing this one, Dennis. Fun stuff!

You did a great job with the sign. I can’t see any evidence of your changes. I think you chose wisely on where you cut through the word, leaving enough to be able to tell what it says.

Beautiful detail. Fun image.

You need to submit this one to Ranger Rick. A very pleasing image and your editing adds some humor to the scene. Well done…Jim

LOL! This is great!
Beautiful bird and exquisite detail - plus some humour.
Love it!
Sandy

Too funny, Dennis! You did a super job taking the photo, with great detail in the feathers, and I love the head turn slightly. But I did have a good chuckle over the sign. I think Jim has a great idea, to send it to Ranger Rick.