The Warden

David Schoen and I made a trip to Ridgefield NWR Monday and that same Kestrel was still using the signs as perches. We did 4 circuits of the driving loop and found it on one sign or another every time. Sometimes it gave us two chances by flying from one sign to the next. It had even recruited a couple of other hawks to help in man the signs a bit earlier in the loop, so it was just a crazy day for hawks on the keep out signs. We had very nice light most of the day unlike the last time I was there, so hopefully the image quality is a bit better in this image than the one I posted a while back.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Some clean up of the sign-did I leave any artifacts?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How does the head on pose work here?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/8, 1/2500, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Straightened and a slight crop for composition. Sign modified slightly.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wow, these guys are giving you great opportunities! I miss being close to Ridgefield, although I NEVER had much “luck” there. I got a couple good redtail shots over the years, but not much else. Never a kestrel.
Nice detail here, and very appropriate title. He certainly looks like the self-appointed security guy.
Sandy

They’re hiring female wardens now😜. You got a really nice pose and perfectly exposed shot of her.