Coralberry

I was excited to find this native shrub growing in several spots on the far backside of my property. Also sometimes called Indian Currant and Buckbrush, coralberry is a showy native plant that is excellent for insects and wildlife. It’s easy to grow and can form impenetrable thickets that provide cover, nesting sites, and berries for birds and small mammals, and also provides erosion control. It’s one of the host plants for the Snowberry Clearing and Hummingbird Clearwing Moth caterpillars.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Can 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/11, 1/45 sec., ISO 400. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise

1 Like

Hi Terry,
I think this is a suitable documentary style image of a plant species. I’m not sure what your intention was for this image, but it certainly works as that.
I felt like the leaves were surprisingly out of focus, perhaps your shutter speed was not fast enough and it was windy? Anyways, it would be good to understand what your intended purpose for the image is as it would help me critique it in other ways.

1 Like

Hey, Matt. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I mainly wanted to document this plant growing on my property, and stress the function and importance of native plants in conservation and rewilding efforts. Yes, it was windy, but I suspect any oof problems were more directly attributed to the lens I was using and the fact I couldn’t get back far enough from the plant to attain focus. And yeah, that is a slow shutter speed for handheld. I probably need to go down there with another lens and get some shots.

Terry,

I’m with Matt a bit and think you did a great job in showcasing this plant and I think it works very well for your intended use (and thanks for the extra info!)

From a pictorial perspective, Matt already pointed out the soft focus. The other element I was going to mention are the small branches to theleft and below. The bottom one not so bad, but the light on the vertical branch pulls the eye a bit. I think from a purely presentation point of view you could crop or other mitigate minor distractions.

And this is not a big deal, but for future thought. This might be better suited in Flora as really I think your intent, as you mention, is about the plant, the native species and showcasing what might be what’s unique about this wild species. Perfect for Flora. You’re fine here, but just thought I would mention as we’re mostly going to be commenting more pictorially - if that makes sense!

thanks for sharing!

Lon

1 Like

Howdy, @Lon_Overacker. Thanks for your observations and comments. I was undecided when I posted it what category to which it should be assigned. I’m perfectly fine with it in Flora, if that’s where you think it belongs.