Corduroy Pillow

These are a few more images from camping on Mt. Rainier last month. The night prior to our arrival they had high winds on the mountain, with gusts in the 90 to 100 mph range. When we checked in at Longmire, the Ranger mentioned it had “not been a good night to be on the mountain.”

The Ranger mentioned it when asking if we were prepared for more wind. Our winds were predicted to gust in the 40 to 45 mph range, and we built snow walls to help shield the tents. In the end, our particular location above Sluiskin Falls was more protected, and I don’t think our winds were quite that strong.

I digress though. The strong winds prior to our arrival had sculpted the snow into strong textures, and when the shadows were complimentary the effect was fascinating to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I took both a vertical and horizontal version; I’ll post the horizontal as a reply below so they can both be viewed full-size if desired. My current preference is for the vertical, primarily for its simplicity, but I’d love your thoughts on the two. Maybe there are better crops to consider? As always, all thoughts are welcome; it’s often answers to questions I don’t think to ask that are the most helpful.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
FUJIFILM X-T30
FUJIFILM XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS at 55 mm (83 mm equivalent)
1/1250 at f/11.0 and ISO 160

5 Likes

Ever get focused on the more dramatic and wish you had thought to photograph the less obvious?

The original image posted above was taken around noon, and this was the sunrise that morning. It was a magical experience; I had made coffee and then made the arduous :wink: journey of ~150 feet to photograph. At its peak, the snow around me looked like nature had lit a massive bonfire. Sipping coffee as this developed was both exciting and peaceful.

In the end though, back home and detached from the moment, I just don’t think the foreground does enough to match the amazing sky. I wish I had taken the time to dip the camera and photograph the textures I captured in the images above, but with the colorful sky reflected in the snow. That might have been magical; I’ll never know.

1 Like

Hi John
I like the vertical one best. I think that the wind patterns in the snow are very amazing. My apologize, but I could not stop myself from playing around with your image including the snow pattern only.

I have added the image below just as an example of what I mean. I am sure that you could find a much better cut out from your original images.

1 Like

Really beautiful images John. I prefer the noontime horizontal one. It has more interesting shadows and more interesting objects in it. On the otherhand, the vertical is also beautiful in a stark kind of way. And the sunrise…wow.

1 Like

Hi John! First off I have to express my amazement that you managed to make and drink coffee in high winds and just leisurely walk with your coffee and camera 150 ft to watch and photograph the sunrise! :grinning: at least that’s the picture your story creates in my mind!
I have to say that each of your photos are great for different reasons. The top one because you can see more detail. The bottom because it’s more the grand scale of the scene that you saw. They both are beautiful for different reasons! What an awesome adventure you had!

1 Like

Excellent group of images. I definitely prefer the vertical as it has more emphasis on the great lines in the snow and just feels a lot more balanced to me. The reflection light on the snow in the coffee image is awesome. Great stuff.

1 Like

John: The vertical is #1 for me as well for the simpler comp and arrangement of elements in the frame. OTOH the sunrise image really strikes a chord with me. Spectacular sky and the light on the FG is marvelous. For me it conveys the experience better than the noon time shots. Wonderful images all. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

All three images are absolutely gorgeous, John. The colors of the sunrise are inspiring. I do prefer the vertical image mainly for me it is simpler and I can enjoy the lines and textures better. You’re a brave man to endure those kinds of conditions, but the photos are truly amazing. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

1 Like

The horizontal for me. I love the flow from bottom right through the middle to the upper left. Lots of wonderful shapes and designs. The sunrise image: absolutely beautiful.

1 Like

I prefer the simplicity of the vertical John. I also appears to have more depth and balance. The sunset is stunning.

1 Like

John,

This is simply fantastic! I too prefer the vertical comp. One of the reasons this is so amazing is that the viewer gets to visually experience something in nature that most folks will never get to see… The effect of the wind-blown snow is quite unique to be sure and your vertical comp makes the most of the wonderful, almost mysterious patterns. (Of course, no experience like you got to have being there… sipping your coffee.) :slight_smile:

Horizontal version works as well, just a bit less of an impact (not by too much though) and of course the sunrise and colors are beautiful too.

Kudos to you and friends for trekking in the winter mountains to bring us this visual treat.

Lon

1 Like

John, the swirls in the snow in 1 and 2 are awesome. The vertical has more of a draw me in through the scene feeling, while the horizontal feels a bit more dramatic with that deep valley towards the back and the big “swoop” from the ridge and valley at the bottom. You can’t go wrong with either, they just create two nicely different feeling. The sunrise and how it’s reflected from the snow is excellent as well…quite a day!

1 Like

Wow, all three are super. As are your efforts towards getting these photos! At first I was drawn to the vertical, but after looking at the horizontal version on the big screen, I can’t decide. :+1:

1 Like

No need to apologize @Ola_Jovall ; thanks for the suggestion!

@Vanessa_Hill , I should clarify that the winds were the first night only; it was beautifully quiet when I shot that sunrise. :blush:

Thank you all for the feedback! Interesting mix on the vertical and horizontal. I guess the good news is I have one to print for either format, should the need arise.

I’ve never seen this pillow phenomena before, it’s a landscape photographers dream. My favorite is the first vertical image, I love everything about it. It has a simplicity and elegance that sets it apart. But the horizontal and the sunrise are both very strong images in their own right too, each in their own way. I think all 3 of these images are winners. Great story behind the image too, thanks for sharing all of this with us.

1 Like

Exceptional image, John. I’m onboard for the vertical. THe swirling patterns in the snow really lead you into the image.

1 Like