When Seasons Collide

Through the Fog

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

These images are my attempt at capturing the essence of a very dramatic morning high up in Colorado. As the leaves reached their peak color a snow storm passed through making for very dramatic scenery.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Image 1: 1/160sec, F8, ISO 320, 180mm
Image 2: 1/100sec, F8, ISO 1600, 200mm

Specific Feedback

For the first image I would appreciate feedback on the overall composition. The second image I would like to know how you feel about the graininess and overall quality.

1 Like

I like the very apt title. To me the horizontal image best captures your intent of conveying the dramatic scenery and conditions. Although the vertical image also has colorful foliage, I am not getting a sense of the storm as the sky is rather uniform. The clouds in the horizontal are quite striking and balance well against the foreground.

Matthew, I too prefer the horizontal image because of the mood created by the fog. "The vertical is also nice, but I think it needs more detail in the sky and a bit more punch. I used a lights 1 mask in PS and output the image in multiply blend mode and then pulled down the shadows a bit with a curve. What do you think?

1 Like

Thanks for the great feedback! I agree with the horizontal being more dramatic. The vertical seems cleaner to me but the sky is not the most exciting.

That’s a great suggestion, something I will definitely take a look at.

I too prefer the horizontal, though the vertical is also nice. I like most of what Larry did in his modification, but it feels just a bit dark to me-just a matter of taste.

Beautiful images. I said “wow” out loud when I saw the second horizontal image. I think the low clouds surrounding the mountain with the peak poking through creates the dramatic feel you were aiming to capture.