Costal Array

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

As I was shooting the waves long the coast, I wasn’t really thrilled with what I was getting. Interesting how sometimes what you showed up for lets you down. Instead of packing it up I continued to explore.

Specific Feedback

I’m not quite sure if the composition on this one “works” some of my concerns and I’d be interested to hear if they are an issue for you as well…

1. Relatively empty top left corner. I remember in the field thinking of it almost as a gradient from side to side, but not sure now if it works.
  2. Bright grasses along the right side.
  3. Lacking some of the succulents on the right side.
  4. General chaos.

I know it isn’t a dud, but just not sure if it clicks yet. Curious to hear what you think. Also anything on processing is always appreciated.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/14, 1 sec. 221 mm

Hi David,

Interesting photograph. To your concerns.

1. I did not really notice the ULC until you mentioned it. I can see how you envisioned it as a gradient.
  2. The bright grasses on the right side is something I noticed right away and thought to myself, that the photo could be cropped into a 4x5 ratio and those grasses would be gone and the photo might even be stronger.
    3, Cropping out the grasses would eliminate this problem.
  3. I like the general chaos. Nature tends to be that way for the most part, and it is only through our deliberate exclusion of elements in the composition that we tend to produce order from the chaos.

I love those succulents David!

I feel your pain on the composition. I always struggle with these; it’s so hard to find something that stands out without feeling cut off. With that said, I’m partial to this area in the image.

I really like the colors in this image, the colors of the plants vs that of the cold stone. I believe that’s what caused you to make this image. I believe the image is too busy. Busyness is a part of nature and sometimes should be conveyed but the chaos still needs structure. Eliot Porters work is a good example of that.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think it confirms that this one was a miss, which is fine. Those little pops of color and life set against the stark backdrop still serve as a memory. Hope my life allows me to return at some point.