Oregon Coast Wave

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How does the color look in this one? It was a very overcast day which definitely changed the way the light hits this scene!

Blockquote

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I personally really enjoy these abstract fill the frame shots of waves. It lacks any real sense of scale, but I feel like that showcases the power of the ocean.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single exposure! 1/1000s ISO 400 I think.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@compellingimaging

Nice work. I’m with you in liking these kinds of shots. Color is purely subjective but looks good to me.

1 Like

The color looks fine to me but the composition doesn’t do it for me.

1 Like

Is there something specific compositionally that throws you off?

Good job of catching the peak of action with this wave. And the color looks looks fine to me.

I agree with Igor that the composition could be tweaked. In wildlife photography there is a composition concept that if you have a moving animal, you need to leave space in front of the animal to “leave it room to move into”. This enhances the sense of implied motion. I think this applies here. You left room in front of the wave, but too much room in the lower left corner (LLC) that is not directly in front of the crashing wave. Here is an alternate crop with less space in the LLC, I think this tightens up the composition, and directs the viewers eye to directly in front of the wave.

1 Like

I see what you mean by that ! The crop definitely improves the composition when done in that way. Thank you for walking through the reasoning and showing that!