On the west coast

Details in lights and darks

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition appeal

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon R, RF 24-105 F-4L IS USM

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

1/100 @ F-22 ISO 640 @ 24mm, monopod. The coast line was fairly dark with just a small area being struck by sunlight. Had to give it a try.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the light hitting the tops of the waves as they break and the mood is very good. It seems just a little oppressively dark. I think I would like to see it just lightened a little.

John,

This is a wonderful seascape. That rolling cloud line is pretty ominous and I think the spot lighting on the waves and surrounding darkness really helps accentuate that. My only wish would be for a little more detail in the headlands on the right. I realize that’s not where the light was peeking through so it makes sense that it’s dark - but it’s darkness is mildly distracting. The good news is that the wave line and light on them with the great set of clouds more than makes up for it.

Lon

John, you have very dynamic light and clouds here, that create a lot of drama in this image. I agree with the others about the shadow areas of the image being too dark, especially on the headland. From a composition standpoint, My only suggestion would be to crop a bit from the left (without maintaining the aspect ratio), this reduces some negative space, and places more emphasis on the waves. Here is a rework that lightens the shadows, and reflects the crop.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

The dappled light on the wave crests makes this special. Although it’s emphasized by the general darkness, I agree that a general lightening would be an improvement.