Council Lake

Last week I was in the Upper Peninsula of MI. on a photo trip for fall color. Had a couple of early mornings with lots of fog over some beautiful lakes in the Hiawatha National Forest. I met up with photographer friend Tom Haxby and it was great times. We had not shot together for a year now so it was fun being together for a couple of days again. This is near the Munising area which will be quite busy with photographers doing workshops this week so it was good being there last week. We also had some great color last week which is always nice when you hit it right.

Specific Feedback Requested

All thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D4, Tamron 35-150 f2.8-4 @ 60mm, ISO 400, F/18, 4.0 sec. Gitzo tripod.

3 Likes

Munising is nice. Are you going to try for Wagner falls? Probably overrun!

The fog is something here and I like the subdued colors. I wish you could have waded out more since the left overpowers the right in my view. But sometimes it just isn’t possible.

The way the fog subtly changes the colors/shading is wonderful.

What’s the light in the foreground?

The reeds provide a good grounding but I wish I could see more of the distant trees. They look wonderful and mysterious.

Kristen, Ariella and Diane, Thank you for your thoughts on this. I didn’t have my hip waders this morning so couldn’t really get out farther but that would have been nice. The light reflection on the foreground water is from the sun trying to break out. Thanks Nick

Kristen, I went to Wagner Falls but didn’t shoot it. Lots of people there just as you thought. I have photographed it many times in the past however and do have nice nice pictures from there. Thanks!

A nice moody intimate scene Nick. In terms of the composition, I like how all the trees on the left point the viewer to the fog and fall color. And I think the reeds effectively fill negative space and frame the image. My only nitpick would be to pull down the highlights of the bright patches of water in the LLC. Right now they are brighter than the fog, and would try to make equal to or loser in luminosity than the fog is.

Great suggestion Ed! It was a great morning having the fog over the lake.