Wagner Falls

So great that the Weekly theme coincided with being in the Upper Peninsula (Michigan) and having a waterfall day in the workshop. The day wasn’t so great cloud-wise and it had been really dry for a while and many of the falls were at really low flow. Taken Thursday June 17.

But…Wagner falls was by far the nicest one I saw and had the best light (cloudy, but a little filtered sun). It’s just off the road and has only a short hike ending in a viewing platform that I automatically ignored and went under it to stand in the water. Gotta love Gore-Tex boots.

Specific Feedback Requested

General impressions and improvement suggestions welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 lens @ 12mm
f/14 | 1.6 sec. | ISO 100
Tripod & polarizing filter

Lr processed for general exposure, white & black points, lens correction & sharpening. Local adjustment brush in the white water to bring up texture, in the trees on the left to bring up shadows and in the water in the LRC to pull down the exposure. Ps for some clone stamping & content aware fill to remove some distracting elements. No cropping.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

This looks really good, Kris. I might think about burning the OOF leaves (moved by the water I assume) lower left to de-emphasize them a bit but the image looks great. A beautiful scene.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman - I’m so glad we got to this one early when the clouds were still around. Darkening those leaves is probably a good idea. I was so focused on the water that I didn’t ‘see’ them properly.

Kris, the big broad V of wet rock and flowing water in the bottom third is a nice lead in. The falls and it’s green surroundings cover the top third well. It’s a very inviting view.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - I wanted to get further back, but some saplings were right behind me and branches from trees on that left bank. So I made it work where I could get.