Oneida Falls

Although Oneida Falls is only 13’ in height it is one of the prettiest falls in Ricketts Glen SP when you get the right conditions. I knew it was supposed to rain all day and give me the conditions I wanted so I decided the night before to make the 3.5 hr trip. This particular POV is my favorite as I think the FG cascades add a wonderful depth to the scene.

I always appreciate anyone taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 18 @ 1.3 sec, ISO 800, CPL, cable release & tripod

Beautiful falls and overall scene. No suggestions here, most enjoyable viewing.

Nice! I like how the water zig zags through the scene at me. Did you use a polarizer? I find the shininess of the rocks a little distracting, that is my main critique.

Absolutely Ed. This POV is wonderful. I can see this location could provide a lot of smaller compositions, but this all inclusive one works perfectly for my liking. Only thought for change from my perspective is try elevating the shadows some. A subjective idea when you’ve got the comp the other adjustments are for personal tastes…:+1:

Thanks for your thoughts guys @Harley_Goldman, @Brent_Clark And @Paul_Breitkreuz. Here is a repost with the high lights on the rock toned down and the shadows opend up a little.
@Brent_Clark : I did have a polarizer on; I just didn’t rotate it far enough. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Ricketts Glen is a terrific place, Ed. Sadly, I haven’t been there for 15 years. This is an outstanding look at the main falls and the series of small steps in the foreground. I also like those few scattered leaves and how they add little bursts of color in the darker areas.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver; really appreciate your thoughts. If you ever get the chance to return to Ricketts Glen I am sure you would have a blast.

A very pleasing waterfall scene with lots of depth, Ed. The long exposure creates silky flows that make for a pretty picture but I always find myself imagining what it really looks like. Since we have hundreds of this type of small waterfalls all along the Alaska coast, it’s pretty easy for me to visualize the natural scene :wink: