Tuscarora Falls

I was able to spend about five hours on a rainy overcast day in Ricketts Glen SP a couple of weeks ago and had a wonderful time. There are 22 named waterfalls in the park so if you love waterfalls this is a photographers paradise. I was able to visit 5 waterfalls and came away I came with 7 images that I am relatively happy with.

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look and leave a comment or suggestion.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Just wondering if you think there is to much FG or anything else you can think of.

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 18 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very very nice! It’s awesome you got so many images you like from a single visit. I like the composition here and how the water gently zigs and zags left to right in the frame. Personally, I find the lower right corner distracting, the lower left corner too empty, and the top center sky to be a little distracting, so I would crop the top and bottom a bit:

Ed, this is a really beautiful composition and the colors are just right to my eye. I do think Brent’s crop suggestion is helpful but beyond that it is very well done!

Great comp!

I’d consider dropping the saturation of the red hues a bit. That would reduce the brown colours and allow the greens and yellow hues to be more prominent

Ed,

What a beautiful location and cascades! I like Brent’s crop and agree the water in the LRC is a bit distraction and a little out of place with the rest of the image. I might even go as far as doing some content-aware cloning with the remaining patch of white water in Brent’s crop.

Also, the slight crop up top helps in removing some bright patches. Also, I think the slightly shorter/wider format works very well to help accentuate the broad base of the middle cascade. If that makes sense.

Lon

Ed, it looks like you had some great conditions, weather and foliage, on this day. The multi-tier waterfall creates a great sense of depth., and I think you chose a good angle to shoot from. I think I prefer Brent’s crop for the reasons others have mentioned. I think the color balance is a little too warm for my taste, as the white water has a yellow cast. If you cooled this down a little you would get better color separation, as Nathan also mentioned. Here is a re-work of Brent’s crop, with a cooler CB.

1 Like

This is gorgeous, Ed. Wonderful depth created by the waterfall tiers. I think that Ed’s version hits the mark.

Thanks for the input guys @Brent_Clark, @Alan_Kreyger, @Nathan_Klein, @Lon_Overacker, @Ed_McGuirk and @Dave_Dillemuth. I think the crop works very well and Ed’s cooler CB is spot on. Sometimes you look at an image to long and just do not notice the color cast.

1 Like

Beautiful! Agree with the suggestions posted, Ed’s version nails it. Really nice image.

It’s interesting to read how others see this and the changes that are made in the process. I must agree that I like Ed’s edits and also thought there was too much on the bottom. The shutter speed is perfect. Nicely done.

Thanks for your thoughts @Harley_Goldman and @Rudy_Ruberti. I too think Ed’s repost nailed it.