Crawling - Forest Scene

Shot this on a local hiking trail that I visit regularly. These trees have always intrigued me, but this is the only photo I’ve ever taken of them. I was after a soft, ethereal feel to this one. Also cropped as a 16 x 9 to accentuate the width of the scene. Does the dead space in the LRC make the image feel unbalanced?

What technical / artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 - 24-70 @ 24mm - ƒ4 - 1/40" - ISO 200 - 16 x 9 crop

#ig @chrisnoronhaphoto

3 Likes

Chris, I like these kind of images. So It’s fine. As a comment I should try to take out more color and make the background darker to get more dynamic in your image. But it’s a very personal remark.

1 Like

I find this really intriguing. And you got the light right on the roots, which is probably the best place it could be. These trees are so suggestive. I think that’s what makes this image for me. What comes to mind? The front one looks like a garden snail.

1 Like

I think this is big win in my book. I really like the dappled light here. I think that aspect makes the image really sing for me, Chris. I also think your work has created some depth to the image. The FG stands out really well against the BG forest. The dead space in the LRC is necessary for the trees to lean against.

1 Like

Wonderful tension and rhythm in this, as the three main trees gradually lean more and more to the right. I agree with Adhika that you need that darker space in the LRC to balance the trees.

1 Like

I love these trees! Composition is excellent IMHO, but it seems the ULC and the LRC seem too dark to me. I played with that a little; don’t know if it helps or not because that’s subjective, but here’s my rework, along with the original for comparison.

Original

Revision

1 Like

This one works quite well for me. I like the negative space and it balances the image nicely. No suggestions here, I like it as posted. Well done.

1 Like

It’s not often that you see trees in a horizontal panoramic aspect ratio, but it works pretty well for the unusual nature/shapes of these trees. The fact there is negative space in the LRC does not bother me, but the darker luminosity of the LRC does draw unwanted attention there for me, so I like the direction of the change that @Bill_Chambers made with his dodging of the LRC.

Nice bit of seeing on your part Chris to find this scene.

1 Like

Thank you, @Ben_van_der_Sande @Igor_Doncov @Adhika_Lie @Bonnie_Lampley @Bill_Chambers @Harley_Goldman @Ed_McGuirk for the kind words and feedback.

@ Igor - I can see the snail shape in the front tree now. Didn’t notice that before. :joy:

@ Bill - Thanks for sharing your edit! Will definitely incorporate that in the edit.