Crescent and the Soap Bubble

The Crescent is the bizarre looking white emission nebula on the left formed by solar wind from a star collision and massive solar shock waves. The Soap bubble is the small faint planetary nebula (the orange bubble near the center).
It was only discovered in 2007 by an amateur photographer and confirmed by the International Astronomical Union in 2008.
This image is in the constellation Cygnus.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated. This is out of camera color and minimal processing.

Technical Details

6 hours imaging in Portland Oregon.
Astro camera (Sony sensor), Williams gt 71 scope (900mm)
Stack in Astropixel, PP in Pixinsight, Affinity and Photoshop.

2 Likes

Wow. This is another awesome image, Dan. I particularly like the square format as it seems to work quite nicely.

I’ve been meaning to ask you what you think of the latest Webb images that NASA has been releasing?

Thanks David, the Asi533 that I used is a square sony sensor. this is basically Full frame.
The Webb images are interesting, processed pretty much the same as I do, I think they over did the star spiking… You can download and process the images for yourself, several Astrophotographers on Astrobin have processed them better than NASA did IMO…

Great, I will have to check out Astrobin. Thanks Dan.

Dan, you said this is out of camera color. Does that mean the colors are really this color orange? Would a white balance setting affect the out of camera color?
I’m just fascinated by the variety of colors. I think you’ve taken liberties with colors in other images, which is just fine by me! I’m just surprise out of camera is this hue or orange!
Beautiful image, as always!

Mark,
Colors in Astro are complicated, yes this is the color out of camera. This is the Raw stack with nothing done to it. The WB is determined by Astropixel and this is what I get when I open in Capture one.
There is all kinds of color which is captured by my filter and I can mix the RGB channels to bring out different color. I am not “changing” colors, there is no Photoshop tricks involved, the color is there or not.
Certain areas of sky and nebula are made up of different gases, this region is predominately hydrogen, if I mixed channels there would be very little blue or yellow since the makeup of the nebula has not much oxygen.
It sounds complicated but you can only get what is there. Just like you could never change a Green landscape photo to Red if you wanted to because there is no Red in the image…

1 Like

This is so fascinating. It makes sense that different gases would have different colors. Thanks for posting this raw image, and explaining more about it. My bad for saying you take liberties with colors…I didn’t properly remember your comments from prior photos. I love all your deep space images!