Crested Serpent Eagle

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 40D; 500 mm; ISO 400; 1/400 sec. at F 5.

jagdeeprajputphotographie
3 Likes

A gorgeous shot of a really regal bird, Jagdeep. Excellent detail, a great perch, an awesome pose, and a nice background. This one has it all.

1 Like

Jagdeep, this is one excellent portrait of this beautiful bird of prey. I have never heard of or seen this particular eagle. Such wonderful details in him. Great shot.

1 Like

I love the ruffed up neck feathers. Great catch. Everything about it is high quality.

1 Like

A very cool bird, Jagdeep. The detail and lighting are both excellent. It’s an interesting pose as well. Excellent work.

1 Like

An excellent portrait of this eagle, Jagdeep! Colors, exposure and detail are excellent as usual. All I ever see are Bald Eagles so it’s nice to see something different!

1 Like

Thanks friends!
This image was taken in 2008 with Canon 40D, which was 10 megapixel, I just wonder if camera technology has really progressed so well over the years and if we really need to invest in new cameras ??

Hi,

Nice and crisp and the camera really does not matter. It is all about the photographer and perfect execution to get the shot. Awesome…Jim

Do we dare go down that rat hole here? :laughing:

I’m not a compulsive upgrader by any stretch (my current camera is only the 7th I’ve had since 1985), but I recently used my Lumix GH3 (released in 2012) and was frustrated by it after using my G9 (released 2018) for over two years. While I was comfortable with it at the time, the GH3 doesn’t handle nearly as well as the G9. Ergonomics are similar, but the joystick on the back is a must have for me now and so is focus bracketing, two features not on the GH3. There are a few other things that I have now that I couldn’t do without in the future, so I think that as we grow as photographers and need the features developed, keeping up with that can be important to realizing a fuller creativity as technology expands.

Insofar as IQ goes, I think the improvements are more gradual. Side-by-side it’s difficult to tell shots taken with my two Panasonics, but you can see the difference from my older Olympus cameras.

Firmware keeps cameras fresh and young to a certain degree. Panasonic has been excellent in how they update and the features that are added or improved upon. They have a full-frame mirrorless camera that has driven several focusing improvements and those have been included in my G9 updates. Since the S1 series of cameras came out later than the G9, I think it’s fabulous that I can have some of the new stuff that wasn’t available when my camera came out. I’ve also been able to upgrade several lenses with firmware making me happy that I’ve married my lenses and am only dating my cameras. At least since 2013 anyway.

For sure it’s skill and knowledge that makes a photo - the brain behind the camera, not necessarily the one in it, but I’m glad that camera tech keeps evolving - both for capture and for processing.

1 Like

Hi J Rajput
You and Jim are correct it is the photographer who takes the shot and I was very happy with my 2004 Canon Rebel, but the R5 is a game changer. By the way, that is a really cool looking Crested Serpent Eagle. Love the eye.
Peter

1 Like

Stunner - hard to add to what’s already been said. Only thoughts would be to burn down some highlights on the log he’s standing on…and consider the same for the BG but that’s personal preference. Superb image!

1 Like

Hello, Jagdeep, a really nice image of this species ! Nice work on the techs. I am slight envious as I only have some crappy road side shots from a cycling trip in Taiwan - would love to have a really good image like yours :slight_smile: ! Love it ! Hans

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen this before, so thanks for posting Jagdeep! The details are fantastic, and the pose and scene are really beautiful. With this image you and your camera worked out perfectly. You may find yourself in another situation where more current features would be helpful. Maybe rent a new camera to play around with and see if you think there’s anything of interest!

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Muller :heavy_heart_exclamation:
Of course many new features are very helpful, I was just talking in terms of sensor IQ.
BTW I’m using Canon R 5 right now.