Cucumber Bug

Our Blooming Pear tree came into full bloom a few days ago, and it was a delight to have something in the yard to photograph. It usually draws many bees, and I find it a nice challenge to try to capture the bees in flight. I was really disappointed that very few bees showed up, but was glad to see this Cucumber Bug so willing to pose for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cropped in some especially from the left and top a little. Does the composition work? Need more cropping.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 180 mm L Macro lens, with KX-800 twin flash with diffuser and set to 1/64 for fill flash. Hand held, f10, 1/200, ISO 100. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

1 Like

Wonderful, Shirley. So glad you finally have something to photograph. It is still very brown here. About the composition, The blossom with the bug has great detail and I love the color. I don’t think, if it were mine, I wouldn’t crop any more from the left as that might be a little too tight. Of course, you could always go really close and crop off the rest of the image making it a square crop focusing on just the one flower and eliminating the other. Lots of possibilities. Regardless of the crop, you might consider burning, just slightly the bud on the top portion and the ones on the left just to help the one infocus bud pop a little more. Very nicely seen and such a great capture.

1 Like

Shirley, the bug stands out very well here. The details in the stamen look good as well. Yes, you could crop to square to fit the main flower, but I the soft flower double. You could burn-in the brights on the oof flower if you want to reduce it’s presence. We have crocus blooming and the wood frogs were calling on Friday, but it cooled off and they’re silent now…

1 Like

Wow, Shirley! That’s a neat bug! The colors go really well with the blossoms. Beautiful image!

1 Like

Great sharp photo comp where you wanted it. I love the color of the subject, most of ours are brown. The color contrast really brings out this little one.

1 Like